Quails not laying for winter

funsized72

Songster
6 Years
Jul 19, 2014
SF bay area CA
I was wondering if its time for coturnix quails to stop laying eggs for winter because I have had them for about 2 months and they were 7 weeks when I bought them but I don't have any eggs. One female went crazy and attacked two females (and all the other quails but mainly the two females) that I put in the cage but i took her out and put her inside a cage so she can see them but not attack the others. So for the 3 days she was in isolation she layed an egg a day. I took her out and she stopped laying eggs and that was like a month ago. None of them have ever layed an egg after those 3. The males have even stopped doing their cute little look at me call. A week ago the females started doing their calls again but no eggs. I have 9 coturnix, 2 roos and 7 females

coturnix quail generally start laying at 8 weeks, so I doubt it is a winter issue, since they haven't been laying for over 2 months. The things I would look at are: Are they getting enough light? Ideally 10 to 12 hours. If you have them inside, maybe they aren't getting enough light. What kind of feed are you feeding? Quail need high protein feed atleast 23%. Do you have them all in one cage? Maybe they are fighting each other instead of matting and laying eggs. Most quail breeding cages are designed to hold 3 females and a male with solid dividers between the cages. By the way, I have heard that if you supplement with light, coturnix will lay almost year around.

coturnix quail generally start laying at 8 weeks, so I doubt it is a winter issue, since they haven't been laying for over 2 months. The things I would look at are: Are they getting enough light? Ideally 10 to 12 hours. If you have them inside, maybe they aren't getting enough light. What kind of feed are you feeding? Quail need high protein feed atleast 23%. Do you have them all in one cage? Maybe they are fighting each other instead of matting and laying eggs. Most quail breeding cages are designed to hold 3 females and a male with solid dividers between the cages. By the way, I have heard that if you supplement with light, coturnix will lay almost year around.
Im in the bay area so the weather is pretty warm and nice still. I get like 13 hours of sunlight and they are kept outside in a cage with a plastic curtain to stop the wind. They could be fighting but I doubt it because there are no signs and I have been watching them a lot cuz they are so cute. I feed them chick starter cuz the guy I bought the quails from said that's what he feeds them and he has been doing it for like 5 years. Its like 20% protein but I give them worms and alfalfa sprouts every couple of days as treats. I'm keeping them as pets so I don't want to force them to lay eggs year round.

That is weird. It sounds like you are doing things right, My dad raised coturnix quail years back, and they are normally active layers. Where you live, I would think they would be really chucking out the eggs. I think you would be better off going with a game bird feed if you can find it though. Here in Oklahoma, it is about the same price as the chick starter, but it is a higher protein. The difference is the chick starter is medicated and I don't think the quail need the medication. I wish I could have been more help., Maybe someone will come along with a little more knowledge and give you some other ideas. Good luck!

I would look at things that might have them so stressed they won't lay, and it don't take much for quail to get stressed.
Are there predators lurking? Even a dog or cat staring or camping out near their cages might stress them. Are there mice or rats that could be keeping them awake all night? Could a raccoon be trying to work it's way into their cages at night? An owl or hawk staking them out from a nearby tree? You might want to hang out near their cage as hidden as you can be and at different times of the day to see if there is something that is causing them stress.

Also, make sure you are feed a good high protein diet. Here that means turkey starter.

Other things are-
Make sure the feed you are giving them is not moldy
Are they active like normal quail? They should be in almost constant movement with short periods of rest.
Do they have droopy wings? They might be sick.
Have you checked them for mites?

Other things are-
Make sure the feed you are giving them is not moldy
Are they active like normal quail? They should be in almost constant movement with short periods of rest.
Do they have droopy wings? They might be sick.
Have you checked them for mites?
everything normal

Yes i finally got an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not the first one but it feels like the first one. I waited so long
celebrate.gif
!!!!!!! I really hope this continues
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom