Quails possibly cannot feel toes

Ocean Flare

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Florida, United States
My quails only seem to know how to get hurt, for real.

Anyways, so here's Fallfly, my male. It's been maybe a year, or almost, since he started having balance issues. He would trip over his feet or step on one foot or fall back when preening, and I've looked at him before and I once thought his feet looked strange but that was that. He returned to normal the first time I believe. I thought it was just because he was almost 4 (now he's 4) but he never seemed sick and I though there was nothing I could do.

Now I picked him up and noticed on his right foot (left in the pictures), he was standing on middle toes (finger? idk), and tripping, and he didn't even notice. I can touch it and he isn't reacting as if he's in pain, but it's just limp. Except he does sometimes tense up his foot when he tries to step, but the toes themselves are limp, whereas his other foot is tense when I'm holding him off a surface or the floor.

Did he perhaps get hurt at one point, which I didn't know about, and something happened?

[I feel bad that I only come on here when my birds get hurt, but it has literally been a year since the last time, I promise it's not constant, I'm just worried]

Attachments

• 20220820_201602.jpg
    20220820_201602.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220820_202712.jpg
    20220820_202712.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220820_202600_04.jpg
    20220820_202600_04.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 10
He's on bedding. I haven't had a dust bath for him in a while, but I recently got some sand for them.
You think it's age? When I first decided to get quails, I looked up everything, but regarding lifespan, I saw everything from 3 to 7 or 8 years old.

He's on bedding. I haven't had a dust bath for him in a while, but I recently got some sand for them.
You think it's age? When I first decided to get quails, I looked up everything, but regarding lifespan, I saw everything from 3 to 7 or 8 years old.
It's hard to say without a physical examination, but that is my guess. I'm not a vet, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

If a vet is an option, that would be the next step. If not, then keep him as comfortable as you can. Make sure he has high protein feed.

Alright. I was considering the vet, but I wasn't super confident because I've always ended up spending a lot more than expected with my quails, and they, unfortunately, passed away either way. I will consider it, though, because he was basically my first pet, so he's like my baby.
Thank you! (His feed has always been a starter/grower so I think it's good.)

My quails only seem to know how to get hurt, for real.

Anyways, so here's Fallfly, my male. It's been maybe a year, or almost, since he started having balance issues. He would trip over his feet or step on one foot or fall back when preening, and I've looked at him before and I once thought his feet looked strange but that was that. He returned to normal the first time I believe. I thought it was just because he was almost 4 (now he's 4) but he never seemed sick and I though there was nothing I could do.

Now I picked him up and noticed on his right foot (left in the pictures), he was standing on middle toes (finger? idk), and tripping, and he didn't even notice. I can touch it and he isn't reacting as if he's in pain, but it's just limp. Except he does sometimes tense up his foot when he tries to step, but the toes themselves are limp, whereas his other foot is tense when I'm holding him off a surface or the floor.

Did he perhaps get hurt at one point, which I didn't know about, and something happened?

[I feel bad that I only come on here when my birds get hurt, but it has literally been a year since the last time, I promise it's not constant, I'm just worried]
Did he recover?

Yep! This is my DIY brooder LOL I haven't hatched eggs in 4 years, Fallfy was the first and only, and there were meant to be more chicks, but since there aren't, viola, stuffed animal.
Unfortunately, the chick passed away a week ago. Something caught him I believe. He was still a little too small but we wanted to introduce him at the same time as a new hen.

Back
Top Bottom