Quails

You might try cracked corn with a little bit of other feed. I feed my quail a mix of turkey starter and layer feed.

Hi All,
I know I’m late to need on this forum but I thought I would share what I feed my quail. I have roughly 300 quail: 150 Gambel’s and 150 Valley’s. There are three types of feed you can buy: Pellets, crumble, or mill. We all know that Pellet size feed is too big for quail. There is controversy if you feed them crumble or mill type feed. With my experience, my quail consume the mill better than the crumble. Its finer for them to consume and they have less spillage.

Other posts are correct, quail need a high protein feed. A game bird starter or turkey starter works and can usually be purchased from your local farm store. However, when raising quail from chicks, you will have to blend the feed very fine until the quail get older. I judge it by when they are fully feathered is when I stop blending the feed.

I feed my adults a 28% protein mill feed. I by my feed by the ton and here is a list of items I have added to my custom feed.

Canola
Corn Distillers
Soybean Meal
Salt
Mono Cal Phos
Calcite
Ground Corn and Wheat
Ground Barley and Wheat
Turkey Premix
Yeast Concentrate
Vegetable Oil
Chlortetracycline (medication)

It’s crazy, through trial and errors, if I don’t feed my birds for three days, they start dying off very fast. Its important they have that high protein feed available at all times.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom