Quality of birds from Nature's Hatchery? Or good quality from another?

ChickenCharmer

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
The Redwoods of California
I saw that the photos from Nature's Hatchery are pretty good quality. Are these their birds? Can you guys post pics of your adult chickens from Nature's Hatchery? What do you think of the quality of NH's birds?

And would you recommend a hatchery with better-than-average birds?

Thanks,
Madelief

I ordered 6 porcelain d'uccles in september. They finally got to me in october without the heat pack they were supposed to put in. I didn't want extras. So luckily they sent me 8 because 3 died the first week. They are sweet and friendly but I'm thinking quality not so good but hard to tell, they are only 2 1/2 mos. old. Right off the bat my only cockerel has messed up toes, several with no nails. The girls are starting to get beautiful patterns, but it's early to tell. I only have one pic, nothing too recent. I probably wouldn't order from then again but I also want to go the breeder route, not hatchery. There are lots of good breeders on here!
29818_032.jpg

Edited to add my profile pic are the little babes on arrival...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not bought from that hatchery. I can, however, say that I got BEAUTIFUL chicks from Cackle Hatchery. I bought 16 Naked Necks from them, and they all arrived alive and perfect. Every single one lived, and one of them recently won Champion Any Other Standard Breed at the National Western Stock Show. Not too shabby for hatchery birds. I would definately recommend Cackle Hatchery. Here's a few pics of my girls. The first pic is Champion Elvira. The next is of some of my other girls. They are AMAZING winter layers!

47099_elvira.jpg

47099_cimg1687.jpg

Quote:
From what they told me & what I have found on the internet, no, the pictures are not from their birds. I found quite a few of their pictures on a Europeon site and when I asked they said the standard reply that I have gotten from pretty much every hatchery I have asked...the pictures are representative of the breed. I think the only one who came out and admitted that most all of the pictures weren't theirs was Cackle hatchery.

I've not heard of this hatchery, but gosh - they've got a ton of birds! And, being a 15-chicke minimum makes them even more interesting to me!

They must be relatively new then.... Turkenlover - I love your pics. Turkens are also on my 2010 list of wants. Glad to hear they are good winter layers - I haven't had an egg in quite some time now.

Thanks Heidi! I'm sure proud of my girls!

I have 8 of them and average 4-5 eggs a day in the winter, even when it has been 1 degree here in Colorado! I use no heater or supplemental light either! They are very docile and have WONDERFUL personalities. I highly recommend the Turken! Here's a picture of my turkens as babies, with future champion Elvira in front!

47099_cimg1287.jpg
[/img]

lol.png

Back
Top Bottom