Quality of Life?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jak2002003, Jan 29, 2015.

1. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have a pullet that somehow broke its leg joint a few weeks ago.

The leg is all healed up.. but the joint is fused and the chicken can not lower its leg to walk.

So it hops about of one leg.. the other is tucked up in the sitting position.

She is not in any pain (so far as I can tell).. and hops about on her one good leg.. sometimes using her wing for balance.

She looks very healthy.. and has nice clean smooth feathers, eating and drinking normally, and is not getting picked on my the other chickens.

But she can't get around much.. spending most of the time standing pecking at the dirt in front of her

She is a bantam breed so wont get too heavy for her one leg.

But I am worried its cruel to keep her like this.

Will she be happy enough to have a good life... or is it kinder to put her to sleep?

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    I think as long as she is not in pain that she should be okay.

3. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    I had a one legged rooster named Derby for YEARS. He came running when called, lived in/out of the house depending on weather. He was fine.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Thanks everyone. I put her out to free range with the others and she loved it.. even though she could not keep up.

I am sure she is in no pain.. the leg is healed and she can still use her foot to grip on perches.. but the leg won't bend into a straight position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by