Quarantine Area Size

If you currently have a rooster I would think no don't take him. Adding a rooster to a rooster is a whole new game.

There is a risk in bringing in new birds, but it is drastically reduced in the set up you describe. Auctions and swaps - make my blood run cold. However, the flock of birds that you are interested in have been in one place, and I am thinking a place where they did not have chickens before...I think you would be pretty safe without quarantining. IF you can't do quarantine right, well you are just pretending. I just got a new rooster in a similar situation, it was not a problem not to quarantine.

Mrs K

If you currently have a rooster I would think no don't take him. Adding a rooster to a rooster is a whole new game.

There is a risk in bringing in new birds, but it is drastically reduced in the set up you describe. Auctions and swaps - make my blood run cold. However, the flock of birds that you are interested in have been in one place, and I am thinking a place where they did not have chickens before...I think you would be pretty safe without quarantining. IF you can't do quarantine right, well you are just pretending. I just got a new rooster in a similar situation, it was not a problem not to quarantine.

Mrs K
The way you describe it is what I was thinking and even hoping for. The little cockerel is 4 months old. I do have 2 cockerels, both penned in their own run. One of them I am planning on processing and should have already done so, but things just keep popping up, like the severely cold weather coming in this weekend. So it’ll be put off another week now.

The new cockerel will be housed in that run after quarantine. The two cockerels would never be let out together.

Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom