Quarantine Eggs?

twistedwire

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
How many weeks do I need to throw eggs out from hens that are new to me and I don't know their background?

If you're concerned about fertile eggs, 3 to 4 weeks. If you're unsure whether they've been wormed just before you got them, 2 weeks. I can't think of any other reason you'd throw them out.

Ok thanks
smile.png
I was thinking 2 weeks.

Here's the strange story:

A friend of mine lives in town and one day found some chickens in her raspberry bushes. She told her neighbor that his chickens were in her bushes and he said "I don't have chickens..." and neither did any of the neighbors. Nobody seemed to know where they came from!

The neighbor's mom took a few of the hens and then my friend called me to see if I'd want the remaining 3 if they were able to catch them.

A sucker for additions, I said SURE! They came out to me Saturday night.

They look like red stars. I put them in a section of my barn my girls don't normally get into if it's shut up, and I assumed they were probably somebody's spent hens who somehow escaped the truck...but yesterday (Sunday) 2 had given me beautiful brown eggs! I feel so sad throwing them away, but at the same time, not knowing their history, I don't know if it's worth the risk of them recently been medicated with something.

Not worrying about fertile eggs
smile.png
I just wanna eat them
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom