Quarentine, how long?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Nov 30, 2010.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

We were given a new hen today, how long do I need to keep her separate? And what am I looking for?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

At least a month- but someone said they had some respiratory thing (on one of the threads) show up at 6 weeks (while still in quarantine).

For me it would depend on whether this was a significant financial investment I would lose- like a large flock vs. a small flock in the backyard. But the standard answer on this message board I see most of the time is at least 4 weeks.

Also, I would automatically dust with Sevin or depending on the age of the hen give a pour on like Eprinex to treat for worms and mites/lice. And because I'm picky I'd bathe the chicken and blow dry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  4. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    How do you setup this quarantine ? Separate pen or cage ? What about new chicks once grown, and introducing the new birds to and existing flock ?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I kept my new chicks -quarantined for 12 weeks. Then moved them into a separte area in the coop for a week and then into a fenced off area of the run.. It was not just for illness, I was waiing for them to get some size on them before I put them in w/ the big girls..

The 14 week olds were quarantined for 35days.. During this time I handled them, and listened to each on breath--listening for any thing different, I watched for runny noses or anything that might sound/look like a cold.. I wormed them and dusted them for mites/pests..

I have almost 100 acres -so you would think keeping them separated would not be a problem...WELL, I let my girls free range, came in for about 30 min.. and found them over 150ft away Around the quarantine coop! Thank goodness, I ended up w/ healthy birds or I could have lost my org. 5 girls and I would have been really sad! So, where ever you have them be sure that your org birds can't wonder over to them..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by