1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quarentine ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    How far away should a new animal be kept? When I build my coop, do I need another building to keep new animals in? How long should they be kept away from the older animals.

How do you treat your 'new' stock?? Thank you Dixie

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Are you talking about chickens or other animals?

MissPrissy is the Queen of Quarantine, she made a thread on it somewhere...

3. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    [​IMG] Chickens [​IMG]! Well, I hope that Miss Prissy and others will chime in and give them all the knowledge...[​IMG] Dixie

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*haha! You'll hear from everybody eventually, I imagine. Good question, too. [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Where's my crown? [​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Being made while we wait- My Lady. We figured you'd prefer a nice, shiny new one rather than one that's been ever laid on some other mortal pate, ya know. [​IMG]

7. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    Thank you-great information BUT how far is far enough to keep them safe-25ft-100ft etc. Would it help to medicate new birds during their quarentine, as a precaution? Thank you all --for repeating yourselves--for us newbies! [​IMG] You are all worth your weight in gold!!! Dixie

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    dk, you are a nut. Will it have glitter and feathers?

As far apart as possible is my opinion.

I don't feed my birds medicated feed. I feel it is best to let them build a natural healthy immune system.

You have to understand that I do not raise for pets. My chickens perform a job. I don't medicate for illness. I cull when needed. I am not willing to risk my flock for run of the mill new chickens. I wouldn't risk my flock for 1 show quality bird. I take approrioate biosecurity measures and have never in 20 years had a sick chicken or a flock that had to be put down.

Good luck with your new birds.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Every court needs it's share of adoring fools, My Lady. [​IMG] The crown will have all that you desire-- Just like The Big Kahuna's BYC Executiue Beach & Resort and the new "BYC Admin's" washroom, I'm sure!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by