quarentine ??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
How far away should a new animal be kept? When I build my coop, do I need another building to keep new animals in? How long should they be kept away from the older animals.

How do you treat your 'new' stock?? Thank you Dixie

Are you talking about chickens or other animals?

MissPrissy is the Queen of Quarantine, she made a thread on it somewhere...

D.gif
Chickens
jumpy.gif
! Well, I hope that Miss Prissy and others will chime in and give them all the knowledge...
big_smile.png
Dixie

Thank you-great information BUT how far is far enough to keep them safe-25ft-100ft etc. Would it help to medicate new birds during their quarentine, as a precaution? Thank you all --for repeating yourselves--for us newbies!
big_smile.png
You are all worth your weight in gold!!! Dixie

dk, you are a nut. Will it have glitter and feathers?

As far apart as possible is my opinion.

I don't feed my birds medicated feed. I feel it is best to let them build a natural healthy immune system.

You have to understand that I do not raise for pets. My chickens perform a job. I don't medicate for illness. I cull when needed. I am not willing to risk my flock for run of the mill new chickens. I wouldn't risk my flock for 1 show quality bird. I take approrioate biosecurity measures and have never in 20 years had a sick chicken or a flock that had to be put down.

Good luck with your new birds.

*Every court needs it's share of adoring fools, My Lady.
smile.png
The crown will have all that you desire-- Just like The Big Kahuna's BYC Executiue Beach & Resort and the new "BYC Admin's" washroom, I'm sure!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom