Quayle breeding pairs

Crazy Cajun

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2019
I recently bought 30 Bobwhite quail chicks. They are 2 weeks old. My question is when I am able to tell the males from the females can If i take a male and female and put them together will they make a breeding pair?

I recently bought 30 Bobwhite quail chicks. They are 2 weeks old. My question is when I am able to tell the males from the females can If i take a male and female and put them together will they make a breeding pair?
Bobwhites take quite long to sex. They can be told apart usually by week 11. They start laying at about week 22 depends on the season. Bobwhites usually stay in pairs and will kill an extra female/Male. Yes, they are aggressive. So in order to form a breeding pair only put 1 male with 1 female.

Bobwhites take quite long to sex. They can be told apart usually by week 11. They start laying at about week 22 depends on the season. Bobwhites usually stay in pairs and will kill an extra female/Male. Yes, they are aggressive. So in order to form a breeding pair only put 1 male with 1 female.
That was definitely my plan. My main concern was that as soon as I pair them off will the female accept a male I put with her

That was definitely my plan. My main concern was that as soon as I pair them off will the female accept a male I put with her
Usually if you put them both in a new pen, she will but not always. You will have to wait a little to see if there is fighting especially if the Male Is trying to be dominant. Now,I always suggest putting them in a new pen, this is so they are each in a unknown place and territory and dominance still have to be established between then, this will reduce the chances of fighting and in acceptance. If a new pen isn't available, I usually get them out of the pen and put them each in a seperate totally dark box, with air holes for about an hour or half an hour. Then I spray them lightly down with 50%vinegar and 50% water, very lightly just a rush, then I put them back in the pen, this works 99.9% of the time. If the female is really aggressive then put her alone because most probably its Gene's and you dont want to pass that down. Good luck

Usually if you put them both in a new pen, she will but not always. You will have to wait a little to see if there is fighting especially if the Male Is trying to be dominant. Now,I always suggest putting them in a new pen, this is so they are each in a unknown place and territory and dominance still have to be established between then, this will reduce the chances of fighting and in acceptance. If a new pen isn't available, I usually get them out of the pen and put them each in a seperate totally dark box, with air holes for about an hour or half an hour. Then I spray them lightly down with 50%vinegar and 50% water, very lightly just a rush, then I put them back in the pen, this works 99.9% of the time. If the female is really aggressive then put her alone because most probably its Gene's and you dont want to pass that down. Good luck
Building brand new breeding pens as we speak. Thank you for you comments!! Definitely a big help!

I whole pen for 2 quail isn’t needed... unless, you only have 2 quail :lol:

I know someone who keeps hundreds of bobwhites in one HUGE pen... make sure they have plenty of space and feed/water stations. :)

Making each pen 2’x2’?
That should be sufficient space for one bird usually according to the recommended size. But it usually fits a pair very well. I usually build mine 4' × 4'. Its usually good for most galiforms up to a pair of chukars. But that's up to personal preference. 2'×2' should be just fine :)

No problem with making the breeding pens larger. I just started cut out! Thanks for info. And yes I just read that about the breeding cage for Bobs. They are quite a bit different as far as raising them compared to my common quail

Back
Top Bottom