Quechua Thread

I thought that was a courting dance not a threatening dance. Of course even as a courting dance it is demanding submission but I see that as politeness as opposed to running up on the hens and grabbing them by the neck and clawing them to the ground to be pounded. I had to "educate" a young cockerel in manners this fall.
smack.gif
How did you educate him? I have a young one not being as polite as he should be.

How did you educate him? I have a young one not being as polite as he should be.

First I caught him up and put him in a small bird cage just barely big enough for him to turn around. He had to spend the day there. He mended his manners at least to the point that if he knew I was around he wouldn't be mean. If you catch him breeding a hen in front of you gently shove him off with your foot. Fortunately my other cockerel is a gentleman. All the pullets liked him because he was not rough and would ignore Rufus. Rufus got better with the pullets and started being more like Long John Silver. Still it was more of an act than a true feeling at first.
Rufus hates me taking the eggs and came at my legs with his spurs. I snatched him up and pinned him to the ground and gently paddled his butt (it is more of a domination/humiliation thing not a pain paddling) Then I petted him until he relaxed/submitted and let him go. Well that was good for 3 weeks and he jumped me again. This time I pulled some feathers out, paddled him again and pinned him to my chest (claws facing outward). It was wet so I didn't want to get on the ground. He is back to avoiding me.

A lot of this comes from a thread about handling out of control roosters. I thought I was subscribed to it but I am not finding it in my list. It is extremely informative. The man giving the advice rescues "mean" roosters and runs an all male flock of everything from game roos to egg roos and meat type roos. All peacably. His advice has been invaluable to handling my Rufus and has kept him off the chopping block. Rufus is a great free ranger. He is always alert and if I let my dogs out at night to pee he wakes up and crows at them. He is not going to be sneaked up on by a possom or coon. So, I really didn't want to send him to the block if I could alter his behavior.

They are BTW Olive Eggers.

Last edited:
First I caught him up and put him in a small bird cage just barely big enough for him to turn around. He had to spend the day there. He mended his manners at least to the point that if he knew I was around he wouldn't be mean. If you catch him breeding a hen in front of you gently shove him off with your foot. Fortunately my other cockerel is a gentleman. All the pullets liked him because he was not rough and would ignore Rufus. Rufus got better with the pullets and started being more like Long John Silver. Still it was more of an act than a true feeling at first.
Rufus hates me taking the eggs and came at my legs with his spurs. I snatched him up and pinned him to the ground and gently paddled his butt (it is more of a domination/humiliation thing not a pain paddling) Then I petted him until he relaxed/submitted and let him go. Well that was good for 3 weeks and he jumped me again. This time I pulled some feathers out, paddled him again and pinned him to my chest (claws facing outward). It was wet so I didn't want to get on the ground. He is back to avoiding me.

A lot of this comes from a thread about handling out of control roosters. I thought I was subscribed to it but I am not finding it in my list. It is extremely informative. The man giving the advice rescues "mean" roosters and runs an all male flock of everything from game roos to egg roos and meat type roos. All peacably. His advice has been invaluable to handling my Rufus and has kept him off the chopping block. Rufus is a great free ranger. He is always alert and if I let my dogs out at night to pee he wakes up and crows at them. He is not going to be sneaked up on by a possom or coon. So, I really didn't want to send him to the block if I could alter his behavior.

They are BTW Olive Eggers.
I saw something that guy wrote. I marked it and subscribed so I could go back and finish but can't find it again. I have no idea what happened to it. I have searched and searched. I yell at my roosters and use my finger to peck at them. But when they are really bad they know and run too fast for me to catch. If I have any problams with my other chickens, I catch them and hold them. I talk quietly until they are calm and fall asleep. So far so good. Just the one last youngen not being a gentleman. He is a sweety to me, otherwise. I'm going to keep looking for that other guys thread. If you happen to find it can you PM me?

I saw something that guy wrote. I marked it and subscribed so I could go back and finish but can't find it again. I have no idea what happened to it. I have searched and searched. I yell at my roosters and use my finger to peck at them. But when they are really bad they know and run too fast for me to catch. If I have any problams with my other chickens, I catch them and hold them. I talk quietly until they are calm and fall asleep. So far so good. Just the one last youngen not being a gentleman. He is a sweety to me, otherwise. I'm going to keep looking for that other guys thread. If you happen to find it can you PM me?

Sure. I think the thread started with the word Help!

If you find it please post a link here.

It may have been removed though.

The Huastecs that I got from Yashars are unbelievable they started laying within a week of being here and are still laying even though it is freezing Yashar is a very patience and knows so much about the SA breeds you can not go wrong with his advice. He really is a very nice and smart man. Their fertility has been proven I have quite a few in the incubator now going into lockdown in 2 days
I am adding a second line to reduce the inbreeding chance but are still pure bred can not wait to see the first babies

The Huastecs that I got from Yashars are unbelievable they started laying within a week of being here and are still laying even though it is freezing Yashar is a very patience and knows so much about the SA breeds you can not go wrong with his advice. He really is a very nice and smart man. Their fertility has been proven I have quite a few in the incubator now going into lockdown in 2 days
I am adding a second line to reduce the inbreeding chance but are still pure bred can not wait to see the first babies

I can't remember what part of the country you are in. I am very interested in these birds. I have a friend who is getting land in Colorado and is wanting my advice on chickens that can handle the high cold land there. In a general since I believe he will do well with something of the South American blood. I was reading another thread (about EE's) and there is a fellow from Colorado who has made his own version of EE's using three other chicken breeds besides the Ameraucana so that they can deal with the high cold desert conditions on his land. He did mention something curious. He said that eggs can't hatch at 7,000 feet above sea level (that is how high he is). Do you know anything about that?

I am not sure about hacthing eggs above sea level I am in OK so that has never came up I do have a friend that might know I will ask and let you know

I can't remember what part of the country you are in. I am very interested in these birds. I have a friend who is getting land in Colorado and is wanting my advice on chickens that can handle the high cold land there. In a general since I believe he will do well with something of the South American blood. I was reading another thread (about EE's) and there is a fellow from Colorado who has made his own version of EE's using three other chicken breeds besides the Ameraucana so that they can deal with the high cold desert conditions on his land. He did mention something curious. He said that eggs can't hatch at 7,000 feet above sea level (that is how high he is). Do you know anything about that?
I think I have read some posts from someone hatching that high. They hatched but not too well.

I am curious about hatching eggs above 7000 feet too.....
Me Too!

Back
Top Bottom