Quechua Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Yashar, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Grannychick55

Grannychick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Is there a certain color or is different colors normal I have been told both so I thought I would ask the expert direct

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm a little lost as to which breeds fall under this heading-- would you list off the birds and perhaps add in pics and a bit of a description?

3. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I would love to see pics of eggs if anyone has any they can post.

4. Grannychick55

Oct 16, 2013
    The BQO and Sweet Potato olmec and I cannot post pics

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree. I cringe when I hear what people are mixing, sometimes for no apparent reason. It's worse if it is something quite rare and there aren't enough pure flocks around to maintain the genetics.
    Forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with BQO or Sweet Potato, can someone elaborate?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone in the US has Quetros. I found someone in Canada with them a few years ago.
    I was surprised to stumble on this thread. I had no idea Quechuas and Colloncas were here either.

6. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    BQO = Black Quechua Olmecs, Sweet Potato Quechua

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks.
    For those with South American breeds, I'd be interested in hearing what egg colors you're getting and from which breeds.

8. Grannychick55

Oct 16, 2013
    My Huastecs lay from a light blue to a
    pale green and a tan I got one yesterday that was lite pink with purple spots mine lay different colors I am not sure who lays what color. The Colloncas lay different colors also.

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Lol yeah there is no agreement on that over there either. That is the hardest part

I wouldn't mind seeing a small free ranging flock around my place thats for sure

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    It is rather funny how they get. Did you see the recent OE discussion about Blue egg color and origins of Cream Legbars?

A couple of Months ago there was an article about where the Blue gene came from. Apparently the Jungle fowl that was domesticated and is the ancestor of our domestic chicken had the white egg shell gene. The other Jungle Fowl lays a blue egg shell. The two cannot be crossed so they did not know where the Blue gene came from. It turns out that it was a genetic mutation caused by a virus(they found the Remanents of the virus).

The conclusion is that the Blue egg shell gene comes from that one source and has spread through breeding to other breeds. It is dominant so if present the shell will be blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by