Quechua Thread

Pics
The Quechua Thread

Quechua - Pronounced Kichwa or Kek wah depending if your describing a northern or southern dialect.

I personally recommend this thread to get a little history

I really love the breeds that fall into this category of land fowl.

I'm a little lost as to which breeds fall under this heading-- would you list off the birds and perhaps add in pics and a bit of a description?

I would like to put this out there...

I think it is fine to make composites of your breeds. But please don't make a habit of passing them on without plenty of communication. If you pass them on at all...

Education is the key.

The Colloncas I have been offering are "true" Colloncas. Meaning there stock has origination in Chili and has not been crossed with EEs. And any cross-breeding was done with fore-thought and intention.

Just know that nice looking birds are a part of the experience of keeping animals. But in conservation of breeds, we want to be careful not to make a mess of things. Wondering if that birds is really what it seems to be.

I do think it is fine to Cross the Sweet Potatoes with EE. I think that is a great thing to do to introduce fresh genetics. If that is done then one should/can breed back towards the original EE if desired. You will be happy with the color and temperament added to the birds.

Yashar

I agree. I cringe when I hear what people are mixing, sometimes for no apparent reason. It's worse if it is something quite rare and there aren't enough pure flocks around to maintain the genetics.
The BQO and Sweet Potato olmec and I cannot post pics

Forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with BQO or Sweet Potato, can someone elaborate?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone in the US has Quetros. I found someone in Canada with them a few years ago.
I was surprised to stumble on this thread. I had no idea Quechuas and Colloncas were here either.

I agree. I cringe when I hear what people are mixing, sometimes for no apparent reason. It's worse if it is something quite rare and there aren't enough pure flocks around to maintain the genetics.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with BQO or Sweet Potato, can someone elaborate?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone in the US has Quetros. I found someone in Canada with them a few years ago.
I was surprised to stumble on this thread. I had no idea Quechuas and Colloncas were here either.

BQO = Black Quechua Olmecs, Sweet Potato Quechua

My Huastecs lay from a light blue to a
pale green and a tan I got one yesterday that was lite pink with purple spots mine lay different colors I am not sure who lays what color. The Colloncas lay different colors also.

You should have heard the "discussion" on the Ameraucana thread the last couple of weeks while some of us were arguing for a term to distinguish Hatchery Easter Eggers who are mixed with brown egg layers from birds of "pure" Ameraucana genes who are mixed colors or non-standard colors (which by the Standard of Perfection are also called Easter Eggers). The upshot was that these would be called AM EE's. Not everyone yet understands why it is important to make the distinction and some are just saying that those with multi-colored AMs are just trying to feel important and other silly stuff like that. I mean if you totally dismiss the mixed colored Ameraucana's (the AM EEs) then how will you ever have the genepool to develop more standard colors?
Lol yeah there is no agreement on that over there either. That is the hardest part

My Quechua
I wouldn't mind seeing a small free ranging flock around my place thats for sure

Lol yeah there is no agreement on that over there either. That is the hardest part

I wouldn't mind seeing a small free ranging flock around my place thats for sure

It is rather funny how they get. Did you see the recent OE discussion about Blue egg color and origins of Cream Legbars?

A couple of Months ago there was an article about where the Blue gene came from. Apparently the Jungle fowl that was domesticated and is the ancestor of our domestic chicken had the white egg shell gene. The other Jungle Fowl lays a blue egg shell. The two cannot be crossed so they did not know where the Blue gene came from. It turns out that it was a genetic mutation caused by a virus(they found the Remanents of the virus).

The conclusion is that the Blue egg shell gene comes from that one source and has spread through breeding to other breeds. It is dominant so if present the shell will be blue.

Back
Top Bottom