Quechua Thread

Pics
Genetics are an interesting field-- the chance of mutating a gene happens more than most people realize. Unfortunatly the typical result is "disease"; it takes many mutations to find one that will work allowing the original source to reproduce and carry the new gene into the next generation. Even then it still might stop there.

As birds decended from dinosaurs, it is a wonder that the blue gene did not show up earlier in the age of the dinosuar. I have only seen eggs dipicted as white shelled. Hard to beleive that in the 2 hundred million years of the reign of the dinosaurs that other shel colors did not crop up. But then pigments don't hold up well in fossils.

Last edited:
It is rather funny how they get. Did you see the recent OE discussion about Blue egg color and origins of Cream Legbars?

A couple of Months ago there was an article about where the Blue gene came from. Apparently the Jungle fowl that was domesticated and is the ancestor of our domestic chicken had the white egg shell gene. The other Jungle Fowl lays a blue egg shell. The two cannot be crossed so they did not know where the Blue gene came from. It turns out that it was a genetic mutation caused by a virus(they found the Remanents of the virus).

The conclusion is that the Blue egg shell gene comes from that one source and has spread through breeding to other breeds. It is dominant so if present the shell will be blue.

I was just rereading Resolutions thread about how the Jungle Fowl was brought to South America. It seems when you cross Red and Green Jungle fowl you get a hybrid called a Bekisar that the females are infertile. You can breed back to a Green or a Red and nothing. But when the male Bekisar was bred to the Basket Bantam females they produced fertile daughters. That must be where the virus stepped in.

I was just rereading Resolutions thread about how the Jungle Fowl was brought to South America. It seems when you cross Red and Green Jungle fowl you get a hybrid called a Bekisar that the females are infertile. You can breed back to a Green or a Red and nothing. But when the male Bekisar was bred to the Basket Bantam females they produced fertile daughters. That must be where the virus stepped in.

Somewhere in that time it happened. The remnants of the virus are part of the genetic code of blue egg layers. It is weird that the geneticists find that stuff in DNA. Apparently we have some of these virus strands left from Neanderthals. Some of our weird auto immune diseases might be when they activate.

Does anyone have Quechua de Artes?

So far I don't know of anyone who has brought any in. They could be recreated by breeding an Auracana with tufts to a Sweet Potato Quecha hens and selecting for the tufts with beards and tails. Remember that breeding tuft to tuft will cause a quarter of the the chicks to die in the shell.

Last edited:
Does anyone have Quechua de Artes?

So far I don't know of anyone who has brought any in. They could be recreated by breeding an Auracana with tufts to a Sweet Potato Quecha hens and selecting for the tufts with beards and tails. Remember that breeding tuft to tuft will cause a quarter of the the chicks to die in the shell.

alibra, if you want to work on this project, this site is close to you:

http://www.cashsblueeggs.com/hatchingeggs.htm

Back
Top Bottom