1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Queen of the hill?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by masanders, Aug 6, 2016.

1. masanders

masanders Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    Alright yolks! I'm not worried or anything, but I wanted to show you what two of my ladies did when I was just out at their run. [​IMG]

Besides it being cute...why are they flying/jumping onto my back?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes it's a dominance thing, sometimes they just want to be closer to you, and sometimes they just want to be higher and they see an opportunity. Hopefully no one left you with a poopy shirt.

3. masanders

Jun 20, 2016
    No poopy shirt thankfully! One of the girls, Lulu (lest side), always seems skittish and has a wild look in her eyes. This was the second time she's tries to get on my back and the first time she succeeded. She didn't peck or anything and I let them stay up there for a few minutes.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess than is she wanted to be higher up for a better point of view.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not a habit I allow to continue......can be very annoying, and dangerous to the face and eyes, if birds are allowed to jump on your shoulders.

6. masanders

Jun 20, 2016
    I usually don't let them but...I don't mind when they do. Usually I sit down with them and hang out.

7. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Might be dominance thing.
    Are they squatting yet?
    If so, act like a rooster and give them a short 1-2 second back rub when they do. That way they will see you as the rooster. Makes them easier to handle.

8. masanders

Jun 20, 2016
    @carlf...They will squat down when I come around. I stroke them a few times, they shake themselves off, and move on.

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Then they are probably just "playing" around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by