Query about Chickens & Rabbits and how to house them.

growanstede

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Wisconsin
So I would really enjoy adding both chickens and rabbits to our small family (I'm working on ordinances for our village so they allow microflocks) and have thought long and hard lately about housing and how that would work. So my question is this: Does it work to house chickens and rabbits in the same coop, but divided? Here's my idea (and I'm sorry for the weird Paint illustration. I thought it would help illustrate what I'm saying better):

4069459251_06901dee0c_m.jpg

We have a three foot tall fence surrounding our courtyard between the house and the garage...the fence runs along the driveway. Would it work to build the coop/hutch over the top of the driveway, leaving space for a rabbit run underneath (I would build out some sort of tray under the rabbit side so we don't have droppings on the ground) and then build the pop door for the chickens towards the house so they could have their run on the other side of the fence from the rabbits? I was thinking something like three feet deep, by eight feet long, by four feet tall, and a lot prettier than a Paint drawing...eaves, windows, ventilation, the works. I wanted the rabbits to be on the concrete so they would not be able to dig out. I was thinking I could put a long tray of grass underneath for the rabbits to enjoy. I want the rabbits for fibre production, and the chickens for eggs. So only three or four of each.

Also...is it okay to put the compost right next to the coop? Is there any reason I shouldn't? I live in a city, on about 1/4 acre, so everything needs to be contained--especially compost. I would rather it were on the other side of the garage but that is too close to neighbors and I do not want them complaining about smell.

In conclusion--what do you think?
smile.png

Looks pretty good. I've seen rabbits and chickens living happily in a divided coop. Compost near the coop should be fine.

It looks like you thought this out pretty well!

Here is another question that occurred to me: How do I secure the wire surrounding the rabbit run? Our neighbor's dog occasionally gets loose, and I feel she would really be able to do some damage.

I wouldn't be able to secure it to the ground in any way, since it is on concrete, right? So...? I'm at a loss, here.

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
Our bunny hutch is on concrete and has two levels. The top has walls on three sides with the front is mesh wire doors. The floor is solid and covered in vinyl. The bunnies are litter box trained so it is pretty easy to clean out the hutch. We cut a pop door and made a ramp down to the lower level. The bottom is mesh wire on all four sides. The wire is attached to 2X2 ‘s on the top bottom and sides. With the wire being attached to the bottom 2X2 it keeps animals from being able to pick the wire up. I hope that makes some since.

I keep my Polish Bantams and Mini Lop in a divided shelter like that with no issues.

If you can't bolt the cage to the driveway, you could always buy some large cement pads for landscaping and bolt the cage to that, then lay it on the concrete.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I like both ideas...I'm sure I can make something work.

Also, do you keep your buns out in the cold weather in three sided hutches like that, cherrycitychicks? Or do you live in a more temperate place? We get down below 0°F with and without windchill every winter, and while I am planning on getting English Angoras, I don't think even their fur would protect them long in that environment.

The bunnies are kept outside year around. They have a covered litter box that they hang out in. That keeps them warm because there body heat heats up the small box and they are out of the wind. So far the only problem we have had is the water freezing. They do required more food during the winter also.

Back
Top Bottom