Question about “lockdown”?

kenji, I agree, Kurby even suggests that quails are smaller, have less reserves and can dry out easier but the incubation is nearly over now so nothing that can be done if humidity was low.

Eggs are very resilient and can handle quite a wide range so one can only hope for the best.

I don't have much experience hatching quail eggs, I've only tried it once. what I know is that the humidity needs to stay up, humidity being too low is what killed my eggs. At least 50% I think, usually it should be higher though, more like 65%.

The eggs should be ok for a while without heat, especially since they're so far in development by now. I think they're more resilient once they're more developed. I also don't think it matters much about when exactly lockdown is, I accidentally did my lockdown a bit early and the eggs survived (until they got shrink wrapped). I think it'll be ok to take the chicks out as long as you do it quickly.

I've only had one experience with hatching quail eggs though, so if I'm wrong about anything here correct me but don't get mad at me please.

Good luck! :)
Thank you! I appreciate your help. I’m so worried about shrink wrapping and drowning them...I never knew how complicated hatching eggs could be! 🥴

Quick questions that are maybe rather silly, but I want to get it right. Tomorrow will be lockdown day...and I’m nervous about messing things up right near the end!

1) Does it matter when I do lockdown? They went in around noon on the 5th...should I wait till noon tomorrow?

2) They are in an auto turner and I need to take that out and the upper flooring out so they have more room to hatch...what is the best way to do this so they don’t get too cold while I’m moving them in and out? Should I turn the heat lamp on over them just to keep them warm?

3) The humidity has been right around 25-30 most of the time, so I’ll need to increase it obviously...will a damp paper towel be enough for most of lockdown or should I do a wet sponge? I don’t want to over humidify...

4) And lastly, I read that because they’re so little and don’t have the same reserves chickens do, they only have about 12 hours before they need feed and their water...should I take early hatching chicks out of the bator if there are still others waiting to hatch?

Thank you!
From what im told from all the experienced people is u can even go into lock down a day early or late , long as ur humidity and temps have been right its more important for when they pip to help them out

Quick questions that are maybe rather silly, but I want to get it right. Tomorrow will be lockdown day...and I’m nervous about messing things up right near the end!

1) Does it matter when I do lockdown? They went in around noon on the 5th...should I wait till noon tomorrow?

2) They are in an auto turner and I need to take that out and the upper flooring out so they have more room to hatch...what is the best way to do this so they don’t get too cold while I’m moving them in and out? Should I turn the heat lamp on over them just to keep them warm?

3) The humidity has been right around 25-30 most of the time, so I’ll need to increase it obviously...will a damp paper towel be enough for most of lockdown or should I do a wet sponge? I don’t want to over humidify...

4) And lastly, I read that because they’re so little and don’t have the same reserves chickens do, they only have about 12 hours before they need feed and their water...should I take early hatching chicks out of the bator if there are still others waiting to hatch?

Thank you!
I’ll jump in at #4 since the rest have been thoroughly answered. When to remove depends on your incubator. My brinsea can be opened to remove chicks and I don’t even have to toss a wet paper towel in, it gets back up super fast, I think because it is deep and the air doesn’t rush out as fast, it’s a bit higher quality and probably circulates better. My NR-360, since it opens right at chick level, zooms the air and humidity right out and even with a damp paper towel some eggs may dry out from this exposure and cause shrink wrapped chicks. It is safe to leave them for 24 hours. I normally remove the chicks that have hatched during the day before I go to bed, and then I remove any that hatched overnight in the morning. I’ve gotten really used to my incubators, and it’s kind of trial and error, but now they almost all hatch on day 18, I get a few overnight, and on 19 I candle the stragglers, and by 20 I’m cleaning it out and filling it again.

Back
Top Bottom