Question about 1.5 week old chicks - warmth at night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nursemeh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Hello,
    I am new to posting here although I've been reading this forum for weeks and enjoying all the information so much.
    We have our new little chicks and are just thrilled.
    I have a question about nighttime heat.

I am using a 100watt bulb in a metal clamp lamp over one corner of their box. They move about normally, adjusting their temp as expected. I regularly adjust the lamps height over the box according to their behaviors. So, this all seems fine for daytime- but its just occuring to me- how will I keep them warm at night?

What do other people do for night-time heat? A special bulb? Should they be under the bright 100 watt light all night long?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Everything I read just talks about 95 degrees, decrease by 5 degrees a week, etc,etc, but I've yet to see anything that mentions specifics on warmth overnight.

For now, I am just leaving their bright 100watt bulb on all night- but I am concerned that they have no low-light nighttime experiences(if they need it) at this point.

sorry so long- thanks for reading!!

Mary

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi Mary! [​IMG]!!

There are no dumb questions. The 95 degree rule is a 24/7 rule, so you need a bulb that will give you 95 degrees at night. I use a red 250 watt bulb in my brooder - it's on all the time. Glad you're here and good luck with your peeps!

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    where are your chicks outside ?i would propably get it set in one place
    make sure its warm enough at night ad leave it alone they will move accordaly
    given they have the room
    make sure its warm enough

4. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    thanks to you both for your replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by