Question about a puppy

FunnyFarmMomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
I have a mountain cur/black and tan hound mix puppy that was given to me. He is about 8wks old (the runt) and just now starting to move around a lot. I noticed the other day while he was at the barn with me (he is too little to get off the front porch steps unless someone picks him up and puts him on the ground) that his front feet turn in when he walks, like he is pigeon toed. Does anyone know if he will outgrow it or is it permenant? Will it cause him problems later?

Quote:
Issues like turned in feet, which could stem from several issues, such as severely turned out elbows, twisted long bones, and/or abnormal joints will probably be permanent. They could get somewhat better but probably not...

the other issue I see here, which I have bolded for emphasis-- he is 8 weeks old and just now starting to move around a lot?? Three week old puppies tend to be quite active...at 8 weeks old he should have been running, bouncing, and playing frequently. Are you sure of the age?? At 8 weeks a puppy of those breeds, which aren't toy dogs by any stretch, should be large enough to tackle most stairs! I would be concerned that your puppy is either a lot younger than you know or that he's got more issues than just the abnormal front legs.

i agree your puppy does not sound to be 8 weeks at all an 8 week old puppy is a none stop ball of energy i would take this puppy into the vet to be checked out.

Quote:
Issues like turned in feet, which could stem from several issues, such as severely turned out elbows, twisted long bones, and/or abnormal joints will probably be permanent. They could get somewhat better but probably not...

the other issue I see here, which I have bolded for emphasis-- he is 8 weeks old and just now starting to move around a lot?? Three week old puppies tend to be quite active...at 8 weeks old he should have been running, bouncing, and playing frequently. Are you sure of the age?? At 8 weeks a puppy of those breeds, which aren't toy dogs by any stretch, should be large enough to tackle most stairs! I would be concerned that your puppy is either a lot younger than you know or that he's got more issues than just the abnormal front legs.

No, not really sure of the age. When we got him we were told he was 8 weeks then, but I figured closer to 6. Now I'm not even sure if he was that old. He was a lot smaller than his siblings though. He was the last one in the box and both of my boys turned and gave me the eyes and I couldn't fight both of them. When we got him home I wasn't sure if he would make it he first few days. I put him in a plastic tote with pine shavings in it with moist (not canned) food that I keep for the older dog because she is losing her teeth and water. He never even whined that first night. The next morning most of the food was gone. We have had him about 3 wks now. He still sleeps in the tote, but spends his days outside with the other dogs. I never really noticed him walking because the older puppy likes to use him for a chew toy (Get off of him, Jake!!), he doesn't hurt him but I figure it has to be annoying, so I think he might have been lying around so he wouldn't draw attention to himself.
big_smile.png

I would run, not walk, to the vet. That much of a size difference coupled with his lack of energy could mean that he has a heart problem or another condition.

As for the feet, it's possible he could outgrow it. With his different growth spurts, Singe has had legs pointing every which way. Toes in, toes out. Back legs longer than his front legs. Front legs longer than his back legs...you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom