Question about adding chicks to a flock???

I brood mine inside with a heat plate because we don't have the ability to have power in the coop, then move them into a place they can all see each other at 4 weeks (temperatures permitting) and let them out around 6 weeks. I used to wait longer but there were far more issues that way. Now, easy peasy and fairly seamless.

I brood in the coop, in sight of the adult flock, and begin integration at three weeks....it works similar to the natural integration of chicks raised by a hen in the flock.
View attachment 1607176
This panel hangs from the poop board, creating my brooder space....when not needed the panel stores away and the space is just part of the coop
I really like this idea. How is it that you can put in and remove the panel?? How does it stay upright without being built in?

I really like this idea. How is it that you can put in and remove the panel?? How does it stay upright without being built in?
There are two "hooks" made of metal strapping that hang over the lip of the poop board....the panel then fits just right between the boards of the coop on either side. I'll see if I have clear photos of that

The only problem I found when brooding in the coop is snakes. I learned the hard way to use hardware cloth on my brooders. I found 2 nice big rabbit cages that was easy enough to cover with 1/2". I can divide them down the center for different age groups or leave open for one group. And, I find that we have much less cocci issues when raising on wire.

Back
Top Bottom