Question about Ameraucanas/Cross Beak issue

Miyashi

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Gaylord, MI
I've only come across this twice.
The first bird, I bought from a feed store, I noticed it was ever so slightly off and I thought maybe she wouldn't be given a chance if I didn't snatch her up.
She lived 8 weeks, I finally decided it was time to go....she spent her entire day trying to eat.
I did my best, that was all I could do for her. (RIP Penelope)
My Silkie hen has hatched out some eggs from my flock recently.
I have an Ameraucana Silkie x in there and she's now two weeks old....just two days ago, we noticed her beak is slightly crooked as well.
I've heard it's a genetic issue that appears in Ameraucanas often.
Penelope was only a day or so old when I found her.
This new chick is two weeks old...I'm hoping it has a higher chance of survival, since the issue appeared later on. It was one of the last hatched and it is the biggest one.
Both chicks were/are a grey with buff overlay. Is it something with this color?
Does anyone have any information on this?
Thanks for any help in advance.
If you have any questions for me, I'd be more than happy to try to answer them.

hi i have had alot of twisted beek chickens they usaly make it ok. ive trimed them befor and it helps some with the ones that are realy crosed. if its the top do a debek on them and it will be fine.they usaly learn to eat just fine .they just look funny. good luck with the new one.

The first one that I got from the feed store, her bottom beak had bent so far, it looked like open scissors....it had moved so far it was making the skin on her face stretch and she had a hard time seeing out of one eye from the skin being pulled over it. The only thing she was really able to eat was a wet mash and I had to remake it every couple hours because it would start to dry a bit and she wouldn't be able to get any. She made a huge mess every time she ate, always needed a bath and she had very few feathers. She started out as the largest and soon the bantams outgrew her. Her feathers were coming in nicely, but she was so thin....they didn't hold against her or anything...she just looked saggy and sad all the time. She was a very happy sweet little bird. I miss her very much.
I'm really hoping this second one pulls through. I've tried to save a few chicks....this is the only one I've had problems with from my own home front, the others have been birds from feed stores that were going to be given up on or hadn't been noticed, so I snatched them up....sometimes free, sometimes for more than what they would have been worth as one healthy chick, just because the stupid store didn't want to sell me only one bird. "You must buy 6 minimum!" Guh...sorry getting away from the subject.
I plan to try to my best.....and I hope it works out this time. I hope I hope I hope!

Back
Top Bottom