Question about Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chad the Chicken Man, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Hey guys I have a couple Barred Rocks I got from Murray Mcmurray, and I was thinking about a post awhile back I read. And my question is should barred rocks have black legs or no. I thought I read that they shouldnt but of course mine do... Im just wondering if I got pure breeds of if there prolly mixed with something. Thanks in advance!!!
    Chad

2. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Mine do not have black legs.

3. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    My male BR's have yellow legs. My females have a bit of black down the fronts, some more than others.

4. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    My Barred Rocks have black leggs. I got mine from Ideal last November.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

NO Barred Rocks should have completely black legs, ever. Usually, pullets have some black wash down the fronts, but the actual leg is yellow.

ETA: Do your roosters have black legs? They should be bright yellow, with reddish tint up the sides of the mature roosters.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    Mine have yellow legs witha little reddish brown shading down the fronts of some of their legs, some a little more than others.

7. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'm going to try this again. It wouldn't let me submit a few minutes ago..sooooo. My BR have alittle reddish brown shading down the front of some of their legs others none.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think the server is slow or something, but it's better on my little netbook than on my desk computer, for some reason.

BR roos should have yellow, sometimes with reddish tint up the sides and between the toes. No BR should have black legs, so I'd be calling the hatchery and asking what the heck they sent me.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    my pullets have black shading on the front of their legs and my cockerel has BRIGHT yellow legs

10. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Mine has yellow legs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by