Question about BBW turkeys

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I have 10 that I am raising for holiday meals. I have been thinking of processing 3 at a much smaller size than usual (like a larger chicken size) so that I might have a few smaller ones for when it is just me and my ds eating. My thought is they will be supper juicy this way and very tender. They are almost 3 months old and about a little bigger than a large meatie. Does anyone do this, raise young turkeys for the table? is there a reason not to or benefits hat I am unaware of (other than having more freezer space that is)

I was not sure whether this is in the right section so please move if need be. Thanks!!!

Quote:
The problem with that is that the first couple months they're mostly growing bone, gaining height and structure to handle the weight they will gain later. So if you butcher when they're the size of a large chicken or so, there isn't going to be much meat on them. We butchered ours at about 18 weeks and they were definitely turkey sized. I don't think I'd process one much before 14 weeks or so.

Last edited:
Quote:
The problem with that is that the first couple months they're mostly growing bone, gaining height and structure to handle the weight they will gain later. So if you butcher when they're the size of a large chicken or so, there isn't going to be much meat on them. We butchered ours at about 18 weeks and they were definitely turkey sized. I don't think I'd process one much before 14 weeks or so.

thanks you know I was wondering about that since they seem tall but not filled in yet....Maybe I will give them a few more weeks and do 1 just to see how they come out....

They are really sweet too so I feel kinda bad but I know they are for meat and will get over it, i am gonna use a processor though to add some distance between me and the curious & cute meat turkeys lol

Back
Top Bottom