1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Question about Bedding for Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CK Chickadilly, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have 2 snowy mallards that are 1 week old. They are in a smallish rubbermaid tub by my office desk & I have placed newspaper on the bottom & then paper towel on the top for convenience of cleaning.

Anyway, what I notice is that when they get the paper towel wet, they start trying to tear pieces of it off, like they are playing with it.

I haven't seen them eat it but it worries me. I really don't want to use the pine shavings in the house.... is there anything elses I could use that would be easy to clean that is safe for them?
    Thanks!

2. Yes baby ducks are soo messy but so preious as well.
    I use woodchips in my brooder boxes.Some people i have heard of using straw in them as well.
    Hope that helps some.

Fay

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use puppy pee pads for both my ducklings and chicks. Really helps cut down on the wet mess.

4. Thats one great idea Katy , very smart ! may have to try that one.
    Thanks

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:It is not to messy or wet yet, I am just worried about them eating wet paper towel. Don't they try to tear of pieces of the puppy pads?

I have straw & pine shavings but was hoping not to use those until I put them outside in the brooder in the barn under lights, cause they are dusty.

What about using that sticky rubbery shelf liner even though I would have to wash it, I wonder if they would try to eat that too, I know little LuLu loves to nibble my fingers I don't know if she is being curious or what [​IMG] or if she would try eating the shelf liner [​IMG]

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

sand

7. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Yeah, great idea! I have some too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by