Question about bedding...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RlgNorth, Apr 13, 2009.

1. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Ok so I got 2 mallard babies 3 days ago and have them on small wood shavings the lady at the feed store said they would be fine I have not noticed them eating it but little worried as I see most of you have them on towls,papper towls, or big shavings.They seem to be doing fine but like I said little worried. Would you change it?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i've keep several ducklings on shavings from day one. I add more shavings to the top every day when they get it wet. Once a week I completely change it out and use clorox everywhere spray to clean the germs out.

They do eat the shavings, or pick at them and play with them... But they don
    t have a problem with them. My 6week old has fun jumping up and trying to catch the shavings mid air while i try to put them in his brooder. They won't choke or anything. Just lkeep their food and water accessiable.

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I think whatever works for you and whatever cleans up easily! I preferred paper towels and newspaper combo just for my clean up routine.

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I keep my ducklings on textured shelf paper. It can be washed and reused and gives them traction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by