Question About Bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Danceswithchicks, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually use hay for bedding, but after the wood has been cut for the winter there is a lot of oak shavings. I wondered if I could use those for bedding.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I imagine Oak shavings would work... I use pine shavings..

3. Danceswithchicks

Danceswithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks!

4. skyedobb

skyedobb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Oak shavings should work-not too smelly like cedar to irritate the airways... and so much easier to clean than straw!!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yes way better than straw!

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    yes awhole lot better than straw or hay...I found out after research that straw and hay, are hollow thus causing an area for mite/lice to harbor ...which leads to your babies getting lice/mites and having a hard time getting rid of...no matter how many times you dust your chickens. Not to mention that hay is hot, so its not good to use in summer.

I changed over to shavings and its alot cleaner also I change it out every 6mos, can go longer....what I do is get a rake daily and fluff it up, then once a week, I get a kitty scooper and take out there poop that didnt dissolve. No flies either and smells very clean.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by