Question about Brahma Colors

ReiMiraa

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Leavenworth the "German Town"
one time i posted one of my roosters on here to identify the breed. i was told he was a Buff Columbian Brahma Rooster.
is there actually a difference between a Buff Brahma Roo and a Buff Columbian Roo?

i ask because i never see the "columbian" as a color type to choose from in hatcheries.
just buff, light, dark.

They are the same. Really, there's no such current thing as a true Buff Brahma. Buff Brahmas, as we call them, are Columbians with a golden gene instead of silver, which would make a Light Columbian.

so when i crossed my buff rooster with my light hen. i still ended up with a light chick (which is turning into a roo.)
but when i crossed the buff roo with my buff hen. the chicks were buff.

Yes, because what you're doing with buff x light Brahma is simply crossing gold x silver genes, which will throw yellowy colored or light Columbian males and Buff Females.

Buff x Buff is of course going to create Buff males and females.

Hatcheries label them so because that's what we consider them for now. It's the same as the term "Black Copper" vs "Brown-Red," or "Silver" vs "Silver Duckwing." Each breed can label a color differently, but they're still the same. It often depends on if that breed comes in another variation of the color.

Example, Ameraucanas only come in Silver Duckwing, so we just call them Silvers. However, Araucanas come in both Silver and Gold, so we call then Silver and Gold Duckwings.

really?

now this spring i got to test this out. and actually lable the light's eggs and the buff's eggs. and then see if the chicks really turn out sex linked. i only heard of this with barred rocks.
when i go home next weekend i will see if any of the other buff chicks turned into roo's you think the buff roos mature slower than the light? cos the light one i can see the saddle feathers already.

I just checked the Sex-Link sticky at the top of the group, it says you will get sex-linked chicks using a Buff roo over either a Light OR Dark hen! I never thought about that before, but I guess it makes sense because they are both silver based.

Very cool.

this spring i must now conduct experiments. cos i havent heard of people sex linking brahmas. so if i have a light roo and cross it with the buff hen would it still work or would the sex linking be the inverse?

Back
Top Bottom