Question about breeding.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cgjsmith, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I have a few pure babies that I would love to get pure breds out of. the proble is I don't have the room to make a new coop for each breed. Is it possible to make a temporary coop and run (like a dog house with a small fence around it for a few weeks to get just a few pure eggs from the group then let them in with the rest of the flock the rest of the time? How long would a hen carry other seman in her before I would get pure seamen? Looking at different polish and silkies/frizzles. thanks Crystal

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i've been told at least three weeks before you can be positive of pure semen.

3. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I agree, 3 weeks to be safe. I've heard that seman can live for up to 2 weeks in a hen so 3 weeks would put you on the safe side.

4. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I have my whole flock running together through most of the year, and then when its breeding time I seperate them into breeding pens, which consist of a 6X6 pen which is 4 feet tall and a dog house. All of this is inside of the 6' tall chicken yard. All of my hens think that this is great. I have silkies though and they are ground nesters so its ideal for them. I just use igloos and dog excercise pens, its easy and removable. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by