Question about bringing new chickens to flock... does it ever go well?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by robbinbaker, Apr 27, 2009.

1. robbinbaker

robbinbaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Poulsbo, WA
    I have three 1-year old layers and three 2 month old pullets. I let them get to know each other through the chicken wire this weekend and today let them meet in person while free-ranging around the yard. Everyone seems fine about everyone else. The leader of the older three and the leader of the younger three are sizing each other up a bit, but other than that there has been no aggression or posturing. They all seem to be saying, "Humpf. New girls. Huh. No biggie."

My question is: Am I delusional? Am I going to turn my back and find them all bloody and wounded? I expected 10 days of "through the wire" and then to have to sneak the new girls in at night under cover of darkness. But they really don't seem to give a poop about each other.

Advice?

2. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    You know, I felt the same way when introducing my new pullets to the flock last year. The thing is, I think that the young ones are still much smaller than the rest of your flock, so they are not seen as a threat. They are on the bottom of the pecking order from the get-go.
    I haven't had a problem introducing young ones to my flock. It's just when I introduce another full grown bird that they get testy! Good luck~

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:You are fine. You did the right thing letting them see each other for awhile before joining them. They are gonna push each other around, but probably no blood.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have 6 hens and 2 roos that are 1 year old and then I have 10 pullets that are 2months old. I have a coule of hens that insist on being bullies and the roos may try to breed them. They are so muh smaller I won't put them together until the chicks get bigger. They do see each other when they are out free ranging but I always supervise. The one hen will always try to get a peck in when i'm not looking. As soon as I make eye contact with her she backs off.

And they say chckens are stupid.

They seem to be getting along more and more. But I keep a close eye on the chicks when I let them out to roam. I have this to go through for a while yet. I have 4 week olds and 2 week olds and 1 that is a week old. I had only 1 hatch so I bought a couple to keep her company.

So I would be very careful about leaving them alone in a confined area until they are welcomed by all the flock

5. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    I am getting a 3 or 4 week old silkie. Im afraid he will fight with the younger 2 week old chicks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by