Question about brooder in garage

BobbieB7

Chirping
Mar 2, 2021
Rhode Island USA 🇺🇸 Zone 6b
Hi I’m a newbie. I picked up all my supplies yesterday for my brooder. I purchased a brooder heater and was going to put chicks in a tote with shaving and leave them in garage. I’m in New England so it’s still cold.
Can I set them up in garage with their little heater or should I bring indoors

Hi I’m a newbie. I picked up all my supplies yesterday for my brooder. I purchased a brooder heater and was going to put chicks in a tote with shaving and leave them in garage. I’m in New England so it’s still cold.
Can I set them up in garage with their little heater or should I bring indoors
X2, how cold is the garage?

You could set up your brooder all ready for the chicks, and make sure that it stays 100 degrees by the heater all night. There are nice indoor/outdoor remote thermometers that I use for this. If it can stay @ 100, you are good to go. :thumbsup

How cold is it in the garage? And how hot does the brooder heater get?
Well it’s freezing her so garage is cold. The Brooder is like a little tent that they go under.
Has switch for brooder and one for coop heater
So must be 90* for brooder.
We are supposed to warm up a bit.
I’m getting mixed advice.
Some say they have their brooder in unheated coop and use the heater others say to cold for them

Well it’s freezing her so garage is cold. The Brooder is like a little tent that they go under.
Has switch for brooder and one for coop heater
So must be 90* for brooder.
We are supposed to warm up a bit.
I’m getting mixed advice.
Some say they have their brooder in unheated coop and use the heater others say to cold for them
People all have different set ups. The photos I posted are in an un-heated, un-insulated garden shed, 8x10. It was June, much better weather. For early & late chicks I have used a milk house heater directed at the brooder area, which is 1/2 of the shed under the loft.

How cold does it get in the garage and how well is your brooder set up? If your not sure put them inside. They don't take much space.
I usually put my chicks in the barn, but I dont have the best brooder. MY brooder set up is more suited towards late spring. Last night was 11 degrees here so I keep the chicks in the basement.
I am sorry if not much answer, but not really sure what your dealing with. If the chicks can go inside and be warm out of any draft or cold I would put them in garage.

The question is how warm are you able to get the brooder? You need a hot spot at least 37.5C (24/7). If you're able to do that, and avoid draft, then you can have the brooder in your freezer for that sake.

The brooder should also have a side/area with lower temperature, so that the chicks can choose what they want.

We had chicks in our "brooder" tote with a heat lamp in the garage. Air temperature was around -2F. Had to keep the lid on the tote and cover with a towel to keep them warm enough. It's risky but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom