Question about broody hen with chicks

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have a hen with chicks that are about 2-3 weeks old. I was wondering if I let her and the chicks out of the tractor they've been in for a week, would she go back in to roost at night? Or should I just move the tractor, so as not to lose any babies?

She will go back in where she was used to roosting. I have a Partridge Rock bantam that loves to go broody, so I keep her in a rabbit cage and she sets her eggs in an "outside the cage" nestbox. When the chicks were a couple of weeks old I would take them out to a playpen I made from rabbit wire using a kids wading pool for a top. In the evening I would let her out and she would go to the rabbit cage and look up trying to figure out how to get back up there. Of course I was there to put her and her chicks back in for the night. I love how chickens develop a habit and stick with it.

I train my little banties to nest at night in dog crates so I can allow them to free range and still be locked up at night. I start by locking them up at night and the hens know which one is "theirs". They soon start to put the babies up by themselves in the crate. I have about 4 to 5 under a giant red maple tree and they have their food and water out here too. This has worked very well for us because we have raccoons and oppossums here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom