1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about candling...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serendipity22, Nov 1, 2007.

1. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Hey guys!

I found the coolest little LED flashlight that is absolutely great at candling my eggs!

Last night, I candled the eggs that I put in my incubator 8 days ago. Discarded one egg cause it had that ring thing around it. But the rest of the eggs look like they've got something in them

Question... I saw movement in 3 of the eggs. Is that normal or should I see movement in all of the eggs at this time?

What are your thoughts?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thats normal, some move some were just asleep when you looked!

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I wouldn't think you would see movement everytime you candled, but I really don't know.
    I just had 3 to hatch and I remember seeing movement in 1 everytime, saw movement in another 1 time, but don't remember seeing movement at all in the last one.
    All I know is around day 14, air cell looked really good and egg was shadowy so I couldn't see thru it.
    I figured it was growing because it was different from what i had seen a week earlier.

Good Luck!

4. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    Thanks!

I was thinking and hoping that more were just sleeping.

They'll be checked again around day 14 or so... What can I expect to see around then? Can't tell you how many candling websites I've been to...

I'm sooo excited!! With the rain, temp rising then plummeting outside, I just knew I wasn't doing a good enough job of stabilizing the temperature. So I guess there's still hope. [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At Day 14, the chick will fill up 2/3 of the egg already. It will be a giant dark blob for the most part, maybe with a vein or two at the edges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by