Question about CDT shot for newborn goat kids

EarthMamaBear

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2022
Hello all! Many blessings and thanks for reading and providing input. We recently got 5 Nigerian Dwarf goats. We were told the pregnant doe was due with twins at the end of December/early January, and I was present with mama two weeks ago on 10 November when she gave birth to two beautiful and healthy baby girls. Clearly the estimated due date was a bit off. :)

I was told that all 5 goats (now 7) had received their CDT shots, but there are no records of when it happened. I was planning on giving mama a shot in her last month of pregnancy so babies would receive through her, but that didn’t happen since they came so “early.”

They’re two weeks old today. How soon can I give them the CDT shot, and is it the same 2ml that older goats receive? Also, when is it safe to give it to the others since they’ve supposedly had it, but no verification of that.

Also, how soon should/could I worm the baby twins? All older goats have been wormed recently with Safeguard. They’re mostly staying in the barn stall, cleaned regularly. They do have a pasture area that they’re going to when it’s warm enough. Babies and Mama just went out there yesterday for the first time.

All are eating well (forage, hay, feed, alfalfa/Timothy pellets). Goat treats here and there. Playing and jumping around.

I’m new to the goat companion world, and loving it so trying to learn what I can to keep them happy and healthy. And recommendations/suggestions, especially with these new babies, is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• F8508FB6-67C3-4FA8-9C37-932D810CF92A.jpeg
    F8508FB6-67C3-4FA8-9C37-932D810CF92A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Don't worm unless you have reason to believe that you should. Particularly if you are using a dewormer that goes into a sole water source. Particularly right now, you want everyone getting plenty of fresh water.

I give my newborns their CDTs at 6-8 weeks (they are due today, in fact, but will likely wait till the weekend, not sure I have enough needles anyways). I'll hit Mom at the same time (assuming I'm keeping her for another season).

Animals that I've wethered (so destined for table) won't get a second shot if they are over a year in age, since I'm already late for sending them to freezer camp. and if I'm keeping my breeder just one more cycle, I won't bother with him, either. If I plan to keep him longer, I'll hit him as well.

That works for me and is roughly consistent with the recommendations.

I gave my kids CD/T within a day or two after they were born. I repeated this every three or four weeks until they were about three months old. After that they got an annual booster. The reason for the multiple shots was because antibodies from the mother's colostrum may interfere with developing immunity. I also gave them BoSe within a few days of birth.

I gave the kids CD/T as soon as I did because I lived in an area where enterotoxemia was very prevalent. If I waited until they were a few weeks old, I would have lost several kids by then.

I gave the kids CD/T as soon as I did because I lived in an area where enterotoxemia was very prevalent. If I waited until they were a few weeks old, I would have lost several kids by then.
Thank you for this. Is it the 2cc dose? I think I’ll go ahead and give it to them soon.

I give mine at 4weeks old, and a second dose at 8 weeks old. Mom gets hers about a month before she’s due so that baby gets passive immunity for a while before they get their first shots. I breed about the same time each year, so I usually dose all the adults around February, give or take a month. I do bucks and dry does at the same time as the pregnant does so that I know everyone got done, and I don’t have to keep track of when boosters are due for different individuals/groups.

The kids get the same 2 ML dose that the adults get. They won’t need dewormed for quite a while yet. Is there any way that you could ask when the adults had their last boosters? Whenever should be ok, but I like to keep mine all on the same schedule so that they’re due the same time each year 🙂
Oh, and congrats on the baby goats! 🎉😊

Back
Top Bottom