question about chickens and buttons-

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xchairity_casex, Feb 23, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    ok please dont think im trying to start somthing but i jsut read the post that was closed and i have a question.
    right now im incubating some chicken eggs for a girl basically as my practice run before i get buttons. imgoing to be using a differant incubator for them but same brooder for the chicks(a 20 gallon glass aquarium)
    so whats the risks of hatching some chicks in the same area as i hatch buttons and how should i go about sanitizing? obviously the tank should be bleached out afterward but like how contagious is this am i going to have to worry about my room forever from hatching chicks these practice chicks?? i dont want to get buttons sick!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Just sanitize the brooder and incubator with some bleach or other antibacterial cleaners.[​IMG]

3. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    its not like parvo with puppies where its impossable to be rid of is is it? i would feel sooo awful to raise some abby buttons only to havet hem get sick becuase i wasnt sanitary enough! maybe ill get somthing differant for the chicks as a brooder and save the tank for buttons? [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You can use the same brooder, just clean it before putting the new babies in it. If the chickens ate hatched there is less of a risk of disease anyways since it's considered a closed flock.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    1 CUP OF BLEACH TO A 2 GALLON BUCKET OF WATER... SOAK EVERYTHING IN THE MIXTURE FOR 15 MINUTES THEN RINSE AND ALLOW TO AIR DRY--- BOOM! DONE! SANITARY AS IT WILL EVER GET [​IMG]

MAKES GREAT FOR CLEANING ANYTHING BIRD RELATED ANYTIME........ CHEAP EASY TO GET COMPONENTS, EASY TO MIX AND USE AND KILLS EVERYTHING

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Please don't worry, it really isn't all that bad. As long as you clean the brooder before putting the babies in there you're fine. I have adult button quail and younger chicken chicks in the same room as my incubator and hatcher and I don't have any trouble. The buttons even 'land' in the chick brooders once in a while when they escape during feeding time [​IMG]

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I bleach all of my chicken stuff that needs to be used for quail .Plus I bleach it anyway...

8. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    SHEW! thats a relief im used to parvo for puppies where once you gotit around youll never get rid of it even if you tore your carpetting out and bleched the floors and walls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by