Question about chicks leg

smitty750

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bethel
I was at a local nursery today to grab some veggies and I saw they had chicks so of course I went to look. Out of the 40 chicks in the water trough brooder I noticed a small EE who's leg looked like it wouldn't bend underneath her body if that makes sense. It also looked like when she did go to take a step it just slid out behind her. She also had a smaller wing on one side and the other chicks were pecking at her bad foot and leg. The poor thing was being stepped on continuously and chirping for help (I assume). I told the worker and she said she'd keep a eye on her but I left feeling horrible and it's honestly stuck with me all day. What could be wrong with her? Is it fixable? And if so are her chances of survival good? I think I'm going to go there tomorrow and rescue her even if it's only for a short time I'd rather the time she does have left not be spent being scared and getting pecked at.

It sounds like spraddle leg. That's when one leg ( or both) is slides out to one side.
It is fixable if caught early. Just make a splint from pipe cleaners or a Band-Aid and the chick wears it for several days until the leg(s) gets stronger
and then they are fine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/318395/spraddle-leg-treatment-for-feather-legged-chicks http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

The pecking from the other chicks is a worry. They will peck until they draw blood.
Chicks are naturally drawn to the color red. So once the chick starts to bleed the other
chicks will peck also until it dies. It is the way of things with chicks. The store worker
may watch the chick but won't do anything about it because they simply don't have
the facilities to help needy chicks.
Best,
Karen in western A, USA

Last edited:
Thank ou Karen. I hope when I go there tomorrow morning the chick is still alive and I can buy her and fix her. I feel bad, I should've just grabbed her this morning but I wasn't sure what to do.

Back
Top Bottom