question about clearing land

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    We have worked really hard on our pool area these past weeks and months. We love trees, but got extremely tired of leaves in the pool, so they had to go. My question is how do I keep everything from growing back? What about the tree stumps? We are not interested in burning or digging them out. You can see in the second picture what we are up against out there. Whose wise idea was it to plant a ton of trees around a swimming pool anyway? Not ours, they were there before we moved in. Thanks!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    grow grass to control erosion

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I see your point there, but if we grow grass, then we have to contend with mowing, and clippings in the pool. There is only a narrow strip between the dirt and the pool, so mowing would be difficult. (although dh has done it). Thank you for your suggestion!

4. MamaRoo

MamaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    A ferry ride away, WA
    What ground covers will grow in your area? Thyme? Hens and chicks?

Maybe ornamental grasses that grow tall and only get trimmed once a year.

cut the stumps low, hollow them out a little, and plant flowers in them, or use them as the base for tables or chairs.

You could also use the "wood chips" that are made of recycled tires and don't decompose.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it were me, I'd just keep trimming the stump shoots as they come up with lopers.

Then I'd put in some lava rock after putting down landscape fabric (or river rock).

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I love these suggestions, thank you so much! I like the tire mulch, it is so soft and springy underfoot. My dad had lava rock in his yard when I was growing up. So I'm going to look into both of those. I'm not sure what ground cover would grow here, I'll have to ask at Lowe's next time I'm there. I'm in zone 8. Thank you for the creative ideas for the stumps-too cute. Thank you so much!!

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    you can rent a stump grinder. it is a machine that looks sort of like a lawn mower with a wheel that has these things on it. it is hard to explain. you hold it in place over the stump and it grinds the stump down to the ground.

you can also cut the stumps down as low to the ground as possible, drill holes into it and cover it with high nitrogen fertilizer and leave it over the winter. by spring you will have beautiful fertile area and if the stump isn't gone it should be brittle enough to pick apart

then you can plant a low growing ground cover like creeping thyme which smells wonderful, hen and chicks, or a plant called walk on me, which has pretty little flowers and can stand a lot of walking on.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    So glad to have found this thread since I have stumps all over from the landlords not liking trees. Still don't understand that since the heat and wind here are both so aweful.

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    For your pool buy a "Leaf Eater"

Like an auto pool cleaner, hooks to pump discharge, picks up leaves and stores them in a screen bag.

Way cheaper than cutting trees, relandscaping, renting grinders and all that stuff.

I'll google it up see I can get a link.

http://www.yardandpool.com/Leaf-Bagger-Pool-Leaf-Eater-p/8170.htm

something like this, mine is not exactly like this one, but it's 20 years old.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I'd trim the stumps down 3-4 inches below the cement. Spray something on the stumps suited for whats growing there to kill it. Then, I'd dig all the soil in that whole area out 3-4 inches below the top of the cement. Lay down heavy black plastic, then fill with gravel. Or... if you can afford it, dig it out, prep it and pour cement and increase you pool area.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by