Question about concrete piers?

Quote:
Well, how about just driving in some metal T posts and securing it all to that? If, you've ever had to pull those suckers out, you know the wind won't do it.

I'm not sure what metal t posts are? But if it's cheap and easy I'd love to hear about it.

Metal T posts are the ones used for most the barb wire fences you see everywhere. They run about $3.00 for a 6' post. You drive them in with a post driver (just a piece of steel pipe, with a cap on one end). Most farm and feed stores carry them.

Oh I know what your talking about. Do you think they are strong enough to hold it to the ground in high winds? I can't imagine something so skinny would be strong enough.

Quote:
Mine sits on concrete blocks and is elevated 2' above the ground. We had 50-60 mph winds today with gusts near 80 - coup didn't even sway. I'll get some updated pics of it up tomorrow to help you gage yours if you like.

Quote:
I have a front end loader on my tractor that will lift over 1000 lbs. When I need to remove some post to relocate a fence, most of the time, it will not pull them out. I bought a special puller, that has actually broken them in half, instead of pulling them out of the ground. It will depend on what kind of soil you have, how tough they are to pull up. You can always pound them in deeper, if you have soft ground.

Last edited:
Domromer, weren't you up in Oregon?

I was thinking of those concrete piers that have notches cast in the tops so that two by fours fit into them. I saw them at a home improvement store and thought they were just the thing. They are used for deck supports.

If you build the coop on sono tubes, it is a permanent building. If you just build it on concrete piers, you can move it around. Building inspectors can hassle you about a permanent building, but a temporary shed is another thing. I know how things go up there in Flagstaff.

Rufus

If you want to put the shed on concrete blocks (not actual buried-below-frostline piers) but want it anchored against the wind, a) build it to minimize tippability and wind resistance, then b) attach heavy chain to several points, in a thoughtful way so as to reduce the chances the house just rips apart, and secure the bottom to a buried earth anchor. Either the screw-in type (an actual heavy one used for sheds, not the lightweight things sold for dogs) or a well-buried concrete block with the chain affixed around it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Here's a pic of mine. It sits on 4 pier blocks - I dug down just enough to level the blocks and have the tops at ground level.

102_2650.jpg

102_2630.jpg

There's no point in overly complicating it.. Just use the concrete deck piers like you'd planed and pick yourself up a "Shed Anchor" kit for peace of mind. It's used to anchor small buildings in high wind areas.

13000.jpg

Same thing came with my sons huge wood play set that the inlaws got for him from Sams Club.

It's what I'm planning for ours.. Once in a while we get 50mph winds, with the last wind storm that came through a month ago clocking 75mph.

Some shingle damage on the house, but the play fort didn't budge an inch.

Here's the play set we've got.

woodridgeplayset.jpg

Hmmm... Wonder if IT could be a chicken coop some day..
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom