1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about coop insulation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gracefulspice, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    [​IMG] We are in the process of converting a shed to coop. 10x5 to hold 4 chickens. I'm wondering if home insulation is ok? Ya now the fiberglass pink stuff. Will the chickens peck at it? Get sick if they do? We also have 3 in think styrafoam (sorry I'm not the worlds best speller). I was thinkin mabey this would work better. But my main concern in if they pick at it will they sick?[​IMG]

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    They'll probably pick at it--they especially like to pick at red things (although I don't know about pink [​IMG] ). Is there a way you could cover it inside, maybe with thin panelling? I've not heard anything specifically about this, but I would think that if nothing else it could cause them to get sick by getting impacted in their crops. That happens when indigestible material gets packed in their digestive system and doesn't allow them to get their regular nutrition. I'm just guessing here, though. It's better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, congratulations on your new coop! You'll be happy to know it will house more than four birds; you could have 12 in there, presuming you have enough roosting space, feeders and waterers. If you're like the rest of us, though, you'll soon be wanting to expand even that, lol! [​IMG]

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    They will peck at the fiberglass stuff and the styrafoam. Depending on where you live, and how big the coop is, You won't need to insulate to coop.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Then you have me that did insulate with the pink stuff for the walls and styro for the ceiling. But I have Silkies, not as strong or agile as other breeds and I covered the pink fiberglass with heavy guage plastic and made sure none of the pink stuff was visible.

I had no choice the existing building is all metal, hotter than blue blazes in the Summer and colder than the outside during the Winter.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I wouldn't use styrofoam. Our chickens have a thing about it; they eat it wherever they can find it. It has never hurt them, but we sure make every effort to keep it away from them. I think they think it's bread. We have an elevated pen a friend made for us; I don't know what he used for insulation, but he enclosed it so there's no way they can pick at it.

6. freerange

freerange New Egg

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm in a colder climate and was thinking of trying square straw bales stacked either inside or outside the coop for insulation. my only real concern with this idea was with fire possibilities when a light or heat lamp was use in the winter months.
    Happy to hear any more ideas or concerns!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by