Question about coop insulation

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
hu.gif
We are in the process of converting a shed to coop. 10x5 to hold 4 chickens. I'm wondering if home insulation is ok? Ya now the fiberglass pink stuff. Will the chickens peck at it? Get sick if they do? We also have 3 in think styrafoam (sorry I'm not the worlds best speller). I was thinkin mabey this would work better. But my main concern in if they pick at it will they sick?
hu.gif

They'll probably pick at it--they especially like to pick at red things (although I don't know about pink
smile.png
). Is there a way you could cover it inside, maybe with thin panelling? I've not heard anything specifically about this, but I would think that if nothing else it could cause them to get sick by getting impacted in their crops. That happens when indigestible material gets packed in their digestive system and doesn't allow them to get their regular nutrition. I'm just guessing here, though. It's better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, congratulations on your new coop! You'll be happy to know it will house more than four birds; you could have 12 in there, presuming you have enough roosting space, feeders and waterers. If you're like the rest of us, though, you'll soon be wanting to expand even that, lol!
lol.png

They will peck at the fiberglass stuff and the styrafoam. Depending on where you live, and how big the coop is, You won't need to insulate to coop.

Then you have me that did insulate with the pink stuff for the walls and styro for the ceiling. But I have Silkies, not as strong or agile as other breeds and I covered the pink fiberglass with heavy guage plastic and made sure none of the pink stuff was visible.

I had no choice the existing building is all metal, hotter than blue blazes in the Summer and colder than the outside during the Winter.

I wouldn't use styrofoam. Our chickens have a thing about it; they eat it wherever they can find it. It has never hurt them, but we sure make every effort to keep it away from them. I think they think it's bread. We have an elevated pen a friend made for us; I don't know what he used for insulation, but he enclosed it so there's no way they can pick at it.

I'm in a colder climate and was thinking of trying square straw bales stacked either inside or outside the coop for insulation. my only real concern with this idea was with fire possibilities when a light or heat lamp was use in the winter months.
Happy to hear any more ideas or concerns!

Back
Top Bottom