Question about coop requirements

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello,

I have questions about some of the requirements for coops. I’ve read that you should have at least 4 square feet of interior space for your birds. Is this the case even if you have mild winters? I live in Southern California and don’t think the chickens will spend much time at all in the inside portion of the coop. I imagine they will want to be in the run.

I’ve seen some coops for sale on Craigslist that don’t even really have an interior space at all. They are just a big run with a roost and a couple of nest boxes. Could this really be all that birds in temperate areas need or is it just someone making coops that are inadequate?

When you figure out your interior square footage do you need to add additional space for the nest boxes or can they take up part of the minimum?

Thank you so much,
CJ

I am in SoCal too

I break the 4sq foot rule. We have 12 chickens, the floor of our coop is 4x8 (no cutting the sheets of plywood) The nest box sticks out the back, so that does not take away from floor space. They also have about 15 feet of roosting space that is far enough over the floor that they walk under it.

Since they are only in their house at night and even on rainy days the door is open, it is do-able. We do need to clean it up regularly.

I am going to add a 6x8 run-they also have the 4x8 under the raised coop, once again breaking the rules of space. It will be covered so they have more space on a rainy day

BUT they also have a GIANT yard to free range. If they were not allowed out to the yard, they would NOT be happy chickens!

I would think if your run was extra big and part of it covered, they would be okay with a smaller coop. Ours only go in it at night, if it is really really raining and to lay

JMO...but I think you could get by with less housing in So. CA. As was mentioned, the birds still need ample space to hop/fly up and down to the roosts. Now on your run, I would go BIGGER than the 10 sq. ft. recommended minimum per bird, as your birds would spend the majority of their time outdoors. I have a brother in San Diego, and I know when they get rain - the get RAIN, so covering at least part of your run would be a really good idea (if your weather is similar).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom