Question about Coryza

Looks like we both are on the same boat unfortunately I cant get these meds in my country :| might be sold by some other name

Use an antibiotic. do they offer any sort of chicken antibiotics? anything that is like Baytril, Tylan, tetracycline even, could work.
Im not sure where you are but there are british equivalents of these and also they offer some things we cant get. so try to list what you can get and we can look it up and figure whats best. You want a broad spectrum antibiotic for chronic respiratory disease in poultry. CRD is what its called here.
Melina

Same here do bad smell no nazel discharge no sneezing and no build ups on the upper part of mouth

It is probably a mycoplasma ...if you can give them an antibiotic, its best, but if you cant, try VetRx dripped in the mouth once or twice per day/ 3 drops or so. It helps clear out the airways and breaks up the congestion that causes the eyes and sinus to swell.
Hope you can find some vet RX where you are.

Maybe someone can help me? I'm a fairly new chicken owner and I rescued a hen recently she was a little pale and emaciated so I kept her separate for a while dewormed her/ dusted her and when she was acting normal I added her to my flock well on day 2 I noticed she was standing still a lot with her eyes closed, she was still eating and drinking but when finished would stand still and sleep, So I went to look her over and one side of her face is swollen right under her eye, both eyes are very watery and her nares are a little runny. So back into the chicken hospital she went and after doing research I am now freaking out! Since she was with my flock for 2 whole days and nights are they infected now? Should I just cull her, or since my flock has already been exposed should I keep a closed flock? These chickens are pets and for eggs so I don't know if I could stand to cull my entire flock. I have am in the process of treating her with Tylan 50 maybe someone here can help me make a decision.

Those kinds of decisions, only you can make...if you do decide to keep them though, yes, a closed flock is nessesary. That means no bird ever leaves your property and you change clothes and shoes when leaving and coming back. Just a couple biosecurity tips..there is much info on here about all kinds of diseases and parasites...sorry, I know this is bad and is hard...but no one can make this choice for you. MANY people have been in your shoes and have done both, either culled an entire flock, or kept a closed flock, ( a special needs chicken yard ) . and they had to struggle with what they thought they could and would, want to deal with, both mentally and financially.

The biggest thing is to not spread this to other chicken keepers if you decide to keep your flock. Best to you and your flock!
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!!!!

Those kinds of decisions, only you can make...if you do decide to keep them though, yes, a closed flock is nessesary. That means no bird ever leaves your property and you change clothes and shoes when leaving and coming back. Just a couple biosecurity tips..there is much info on here about all kinds of diseases and parasites...sorry, I know this is bad and is hard...but no one can make this choice for you. MANY people have been in your shoes and have done both, either culled an entire flock, or kept a closed flock, ( a special needs chicken yard ) . and they had to struggle with what they thought they could and would, want to deal with, both mentally and financially.

The biggest thing is to not spread this to other chicken keepers if you decide to keep your flock. Best to you and your flock!
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry!!!!
Does this mean you think my other birds have been too exposed to do anything other than cull or close?

Yes, I do think your other birds have been exposed. You put the hen in with your flock, they have had contact, they are exposed! Even if they have not been sick, yet, they can become carriers, or get sick at a later date. This is how this works with chicken diseases and parasites. ( One has it, all have it ) Unfortunately, yes again, those are your choices, cull, or keep a closed flock. If you want to bring in new birds, you will have to find out what your birds have, as you will need to vaccinate your new birds for what your current flock has. The only way to know for sure is a necropsy. If/when a bird dies, or you cull a bird, get a necropsy, then you will know and know how to vaccinate for new birds, if you are going to keep your current flock.

If you are thinking of culling, then I would suggest that you cull that one you brought in and have a necropsy done on that one, so you know, and can make a more informed decision. That is what I would do if my flock came down with a disease and I didn't know what it was. The common rule of thumb for introducing new birds to a current flock is isolation for atleast 2-4 weeks, longer is better. If possible, have a fecal and blood test done also, as that will rule out or in, any diseases/internal parasites that you might introduce to your flock if you add the new bird/birds.

So sorry!!!! I have read the anguish in so many peoples posts that are in your shoes!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom