Question about crowing...

WWolf

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
San Diego
I'm sure this has been asked before... I know there is no such thing as a "quiet" rooster (once there old enough) but are certain breed less apt to crow alot. Just sign me.Very new at chickens

I'm glad you asked this question. I am getting a rooster tomorrow and really wonder about the "neighbors". :)

WWolf, I don't know if there is a quiet rooster?
I have happy roo's that crow when they feel like it.
Sometimes it's alot and sometimes not as much.

If you think you like the sound, like I do, it's ok.

God knows that city folk prefer the sound of a screaming weed eater over a happy roo.

Neighbors consideration is always important, communication is the key to success.

Maybe a few eggs will change their mind?

bigzio

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

That's so true, and it doesn't make the least sense!

You're not kidding! I detest the sounds of ATV's screaming all round me on holidays when others have relatives over (I live in a mountain community). SO obnoxious! Then there's the gunfire at 11:00 p.m. for what reason? I don't have a clue! My rooster is a Barred Rock, very deep voice, nice crow. I love to hear him crow. He sometimes crows at 4 a.m., but usually after 5 a.m. and several times during the day when he hears other game roosters crowing all around us. A banty rooster sometimes has an earsplitting crow, maybe not as loud, but much more irritating than a deep-throated crow of a 9-lb. rooster to me.

I love the deep crows!
love.gif

I have a bantam cochin roo and his crow is almost comical. He struts around like he's tough stuff, but how can something that's 2 lbs be tough? He's 1 lb feathers and 1 lb bones!
lau.gif

But I do love to hear him crow and so do my neighbors!

Quote:
I was at my friends county fair last year and they had bantam rooster cages with the full size roosters and the strangled crows of the bantams was very funny as they tried to outdo the booming deep crows of their larger kin!

I have a Red Pyle Old English rooster that can belt out a sound almost as loud as a big breed rooster. I was so surprised after I first purchased him to hear just how loud he could crow. I've had chickens my whole life and this is the first time I've ever experienced a bantam rooster that crows so loud.
hu.gif
Johnny

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom