Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
B150FDD9-B645-4CE1-B569-64D9B04ADCD3.jpeg
F04A3261-E5E0-4224-9F34-8E5CE72363C9.jpeg
5453C9D5-6E7B-4C94-B766-C092A1D95E32.jpeg
96210E8C-40CE-4602-9C64-0B7F5684FA05.jpeg
I think this is a Cuckoo Marans 12 week old pullet. She has always looked a bit different then her hatch mates.. She is my only Cuckoo Marans chick. My question is does she have a tuff, muff, or beard? Her head (or maybe neck) looks more puffed then the others. Not a concern, just trying to learn all about my chickens.

My question is does she have a tuff, muff, or beard?
She indeed looks bearded (or muffed at least) to me... which would say NOT Marans. :confused: But maybe she is just extra fluffy.

Where did she come from? Makes me crazy that hardly any cuckoo Marans I see ever have feathered legs. And reading the expected weight and such seem nothing like the black coppers I raise and even closer to leghorn!

Honestly she doesn't look like any of the pics I see of cuckoo Marans even from the various hatcheries...

She MUST have a bearding gene... inhibiting the size of her waddles for your stated age. And we *should* be able to see her ear lobes as well. :pop

Anyways, I get that it's just curiosity. She is a cutie. :love

She indeed looks bearded (or muffed at least) to me... which would say NOT Marans. :confused: But maybe she is just extra fluffy.

Where did she come from? Makes me crazy that hardly any cuckoo Marans I see ever have feathered legs. And reading the expected weight and such seem nothing like the black coppers I raise and even closer to leghorn!

Honestly she doesn't look like any of the pics I see of cuckoo Marans even from the various hatcheries...

She MUST have a bearding gene... inhibiting the size of her waddles for your stated age. And we *should* be able to see her ear lobes as well. :pop

Anyways, I get that it's just curiosity. She is a cutie. :love
She came from my local Big R. They told me that they got them from privette hatchery. But I really don't know. I was only going off the breeds they sell.

privette sells Russian Orloff chickens. She looks close to that. There are some that are mottled black and white and they do have muffs.

If so, the eggs should be light brown to tinted white. If the eggs are green or blue then she has araucana genes

privette sells Russian Orloff chickens. She looks close to that. There are some that are mottled black and white and they do have muffs.

If so, the eggs should be light brown to tinted white. If the eggs are green or blue then she has araucana genes
Oh wow. I never even considered that. Thank you!

That's a fantastic guess! :highfive:

Thinking that isn't it though since skin doesn't look yellow as far as I can tell.

My suspicion... possible Olive Egger? Funny (or ridiculous) that so many hatcheries can't even spell Marans correctly! It ALWAYS has the S at the end whether singular or plural.. as they are named after the French port town of Marans. ;)

Back
Top Bottom