Question about dominant traits

However, I'm still not sure how it ended up with the pattern it has with a red hen and a white rooster.
White silkies are usually recessive white, which can hide any pattern underneath their white.

That's the answer.

A chicken with two copies of the recessive white gene will look white, but it still has all the other color genes a chicken would normally have. So it's genetically gold or silver (but you cannot tell which.) And it is genetically chocolate or not-chocolate (but you cannot tell which.) And so on, for all the other color genes.

When you cross a chicken with recessive white to one without, the chicks get only one copy of the recessive white gene--and because it's recessive, you don't see any white from it. So you can see the effects of all the other genes each parent had, that they passed on to the chick.

Recessive white chickens are like a box of surprises, as regards the colors of their offspring :)

That's the answer.

A chicken with two copies of the recessive white gene will look white, but it still has all the other color genes a chicken would normally have. So it's genetically gold or silver (but you cannot tell which.) And it is genetically chocolate or not-chocolate (but you cannot tell which.) And so on, for all the other color genes.

When you cross a chicken with recessive white to one without, the chicks get only one copy of the recessive white gene--and because it's recessive, you don't see any white from it. So you can see the effects of all the other genes each parent had, that they passed on to the chick.

Recessive white chickens are like a box of surprises, as regards the colors of their offspring :)
Gotcha! I never knew chicken genetics could be so fascinating. lol!
I am fairly certain the little chipmunk striped one is a frizzle. So that pretty much solidifies it's parents are either my red frizzle hen or the red frazzle hen and my white silkie rooster.
I purchased the cochins as chicks at about a week old. I had no idea I had any chance of having a frazzle until she started feathering out weirdly. Thankfully she has all her feathers they are just extremely brittle.

Gotcha! I never knew chicken genetics could be so fascinating. lol!
I am fairly certain the little chipmunk striped one is a frizzle. So that pretty much solidifies it's parents are either my red frizzle hen or the red frazzle hen and my white silkie rooster.
I purchased the cochins as chicks at about a week old. I had no idea I had any chance of having a frazzle until she started feathering out weirdly. Thankfully she has all her feathers they are just extremely brittle.
Your chipmunk looks like a silvery version of one of my chicks! Wonder if they could be silver partridge

Your chipmunk looks like a silvery version of one of my chicks! Wonder if they could be silver partridge
I'm not sure. She's turning out to be stunning though. She's gray with the partridge markings and her chest/underbelly and head are off white. I'll have to try to get a picture of her. Since momma raised her she's quite skittish and runs away as soon as I get near the coop/run area.

Back
Top Bottom