question about duck eggs

weezzell5400

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
seneca
I built a incubator and have been testing it without eggs in it. Well its been holding steady at 102 degrees and 46% humidity.well today i was given some duck eggs and My question is I know for duck eggs its supposed to be around 99 degrees and 85% humidity. So how do I get it there. I thought that I might be able to put a hole or two in the box but how to raise the humidity to 85% and 95% for lock down my incubator is a homemade one I built. Wood box with 2 60 watt bulbs. one stays on and the other is on a water heater stat. It is insulated with dense Styrofoam for houses. And has a heat sync jar and a 10" x 6" x 1" pan with water ohh and a computer fan what do yall think I need to do here is what my bator looks like
71859_imag0265.jpg

71859_imag0266.jpg

71859_imag0267.jpg

Last edited:
102 is too hot for chickens or ducks. 85% is too high for chickens or ducks. Chickens and ducks should be a steady 99.5 temp. Chickens humidity varies, but ducks need higher humidity, about 60-70%. 85% you are gonna drown them.

Yeah I have only one bulb on a stat well I cut 2 holes in the incubator and did the pill bottle thing now every thing is working just fine the temp is stating at between 98.8 and 100 degrees but my humidity is still only at 50% and I have 2 pans pc water in it now with a sponge in each one as to what type of eggs they are I have no idea a friend have them to me. And said try hatching them and I could have them so I accepted

Quote:
Ducks I have hatched, just like chickens, but with higher humiditynad for 28 days instead of 21. They hatched just fine too. I have 17 eggs i nthe bator now.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ducks I have hatched, just like chickens, but with higher humiditynad for 28 days instead of 21. They hatched just fine too. I have 17 eggs i nthe bator now.

Thank you!

Hopefully, Mama duck will be able to do the job this time, but just in case, I fired up the incubator. I really, really want these ducklings.

Good luck with yours!
(Yippee, brooding ducklings in the house for the winter - yech! I wish I had a basement, or a garage.....)

Quote:

Thank you!

Hopefully, Mama duck will be able to do the job this time, but just in case, I fired up the incubator. I really, really want these ducklings.

Good luck with yours!
(Yippee, brooding ducklings in the house for the winter - yech! I wish I had a basement, or a garage.....)

Thanks!!! Mine are fawn & white runner ducks. We had a huge loss a month ago, and these are to rebuild our flock. I have 13 chicks in the brooder right now that are a week old.

Back
Top Bottom