question about duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by weezzell5400, Dec 6, 2010.

1. weezzell5400

weezzell5400 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    seneca
    I built a incubator and have been testing it without eggs in it. Well its been holding steady at 102 degrees and 46% humidity.well today i was given some duck eggs and My question is I know for duck eggs its supposed to be around 99 degrees and 85% humidity. So how do I get it there. I thought that I might be able to put a hole or two in the box but how to raise the humidity to 85% and 95% for lock down my incubator is a homemade one I built. Wood box with 2 60 watt bulbs. one stays on and the other is on a water heater stat. It is insulated with dense Styrofoam for houses. And has a heat sync jar and a 10" x 6" x 1" pan with water ohh and a computer fan what do yall think I need to do here is what my bator looks like [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Do you have a thermostat on both bulbs or just one?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

102 is too hot for chickens or ducks. 85% is too high for chickens or ducks. Chickens and ducks should be a steady 99.5 temp. Chickens humidity varies, but ducks need higher humidity, about 60-70%. 85% you are gonna drown them.

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Please, pardon the hijack, but...

With duck eggs, do you have to do the daily cool down as you would geese?

5. weezzell5400

weezzell5400 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    seneca
    Yeah I have only one bulb on a stat well I cut 2 holes in the incubator and did the pill bottle thing now every thing is working just fine the temp is stating at between 98.8 and 100 degrees but my humidity is still only at 50% and I have 2 pans pc water in it now with a sponge in each one as to what type of eggs they are I have no idea a friend have them to me. And said try hatching them and I could have them so I accepted

6. debilorrah

Quote:Ducks I have hatched, just like chickens, but with higher humiditynad for 28 days instead of 21. They hatched just fine too. I have 17 eggs i nthe bator now.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. debilorrah

Quote:You need to find out what kind they are because non-pekin derivitive ducks need 34 days instead of 28.

8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Quote:Ducks I have hatched, just like chickens, but with higher humiditynad for 28 days instead of 21. They hatched just fine too. I have 17 eggs i nthe bator now.

Thank you!

Hopefully, Mama duck will be able to do the job this time, but just in case, I fired up the incubator. I really, really want these ducklings.

Good luck with yours!
    (Yippee, brooding ducklings in the house for the winter - yech! I wish I had a basement, or a garage.....)

9. debilorrah

Thank you!

Hopefully, Mama duck will be able to do the job this time, but just in case, I fired up the incubator. I really, really want these ducklings.

Good luck with yours!
    (Yippee, brooding ducklings in the house for the winter - yech! I wish I had a basement, or a garage.....)

Thanks!!! Mine are fawn & white runner ducks. We had a huge loss a month ago, and these are to rebuild our flock. I have 13 chicks in the brooder right now that are a week old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by