Question About Duck Genetics

karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello!
I recently bought six ducklings from a lady who lives nearby, and I'm curious to see if she is right about their sex.
Screenshot_20200601-185345_Chrome.jpg

So can a Khaki Campbell drake crossed with a Cayuga hen produce sex linked ducklings?
I couldn't find anything, any input would help!

To note, one of them is blue with yellow underbelly and webbing.
20200528_143323.jpg

Pyxis is the expert but I will chime in, I believe she is correct. I did a similar cross with a Khaki drake and a Silver Welsh Harlequin hen. Like yours, my boys were black and my girls were brown. The cross only works if the drake is brown and the hen carries the black (vs brown).
F7BFF47A-9F8D-480D-AEBE-C1DAA2F2CF29.jpeg

Males with the chocolate gene bred to females that are not white or chocolate should produce ducklings sexable by color. I haven't tested it out yet but that's what the internet tells me!

You found my chart :)

The breeder is right. Chocolate male to black female does indeed produce sex linked ducklings. The chocolate (brown) babies are girls. Black are boys. I'd avoid that blue one because it's not from the same parents, and blue throws off the sex linking by making it hard to tell if a duckling is chocolate by down color. Unless you don't care if it's a male or not, in which case no reason to avoid it, haha.

Back
Top Bottom