Question about ducks breeding?

allanimals21

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
MN
I was wondering a few things. I can't seem to find anything on Muscovy breeding. What age to they mature at? Also I got my 8 kinda by buying/rescueing them, anyways it seems as though I have 5 males and 3 females. Is this going to be a big problem? I don't want to get rid of them and I sure ain't going to eat them as some have suggested I'm just worried that the males aren't gonna get along so well.

I'm surprised someone hasn't answered this yet. You need to either get rid of all but one of the males, or get a ton more females. They will overbreed your three poor hens.

Hi Allanimals
Rainplace is right, your male/female ratio will put your hens in danger. How many ducks can you keep? You could possibly keep the females with one male, and keep the rest of the males in a separate enclosure, a bacheolor pad as Cetawin puts it. But if they are too close to the females the males will fight with each other.
The females are of egg laying age at about sixteen weeks. They will be breeding before that. The hormones will be most intense in early spring, but people have problems with the males hurting the females all year.

Back
Top Bottom