Question about Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HEChicken, Feb 14, 2011.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Okay, so I know that Easter Eggers are NOT a breed in and of themselves, but rather a "mutt". I also know that not all mutts "breed true" - i.e. sex-links. So if an Easter Egger and a RIR get together and produce a chick that has green legs and a rose comb, is that chick also an Easter Egger? And what are the chances that chick will lay colored eggs if the chick itself hatched from a light brown colored egg?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    I also know that not all mutts "breed true" - i.e. sex-links

Mutts wont breed true nor will Sex-links.

Sex-links are a one time deal.

Chris​

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:If you are saying that the EE hatched from a light brown egg, I would say your chances of getting a green egg layer are pretty slim.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The chick won't have a rose comb [​IMG] EE's have pea combs, not rose combs, and that's only if the EE actually has a homozygous (100% pure) pea comb.

Granted if the EE is green legged, has a homozygous pea comb, and genes for blue eggs - you get green legged green egg layers that, yes, are still EE's.

If the EE does not have a homozygous pea comb or lays brown eggs, you'll get about 50% chance of EE's and 50% chance of brown egg laying chickens that you may call EE's, but I personally wouldn't.

The green legs will only pop up if the parent has them, or if the parent has a lot of black in the shanks. Green legs, however, are not a required trait for an EE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by