Question about egg laying

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I went out to gather eggs and let the chickens out to forage, there were 3 sitting in nests so I had to come back a little later. When I went back I was just in time to see one lay an egg. Now, are eggs soft when first laid?

I saw my red hen check the eggs under her and she grabbed the "skin" off the one she just laid and took off with it. The yolk and white was left in the nest next to the other egg. The "skin" just peeled or popped right off.

Sometimes in the beginning eggs can be soft. Add some oyster shell free choice, it has extra calcium that will help keep the shells stronger. To make an egg they deplete quite a bit of calcium from their bodies and need a way to replenish it.

I went out to gather eggs and let the chickens out to forage, there were 3 sitting in nests so I had to come back a little later. When I went back I was just in time to see one lay an egg. Now, are eggs soft when first laid?

I saw my red hen check the eggs under her and she grabbed the "skin" off the one she just laid and took off with it. The yolk and white was left in the nest next to the other egg. The "skin" just peeled or popped right off.

Depends on what you are aksing - if you are asking if eggs are laid soft and harden as they are exposed to air, no. Complete eggs are laid with the hard shell in place. If you are asking if the first eggs for a new layer are sometimes laid without an outer shell (or a misformed shell), then yes. Sounds like your girl's "shelling" station on the assembly line is not quite up and running just right yet so you got an egg with membrane, white and yolk.

Last edited:
Sometimes in the beginning eggs can be soft. Add some oyster shell free choice, it has extra calcium that will help keep the shells stronger. To make an egg they deplete quite a bit of calcium from their bodies and need a way to replenish it.
X2
She laid a shell less egg, they should be hard as soon as they come out. Up her calcium, and she should straighten out.

Instead of saying 'up the calcium'.....

....let's ask:

What are you feeding and do you provide oyster shell/crushed chicken egg shell in a separate container from the feed?

and...... How old are your chickens?

We are feeding layer crumbles and she's about 2 years old. We bought her last year at a feed store and they said she was about a year old but I remember something: She was molting. Doesn't that mean she was over a year old? No, we haven't had trouble with soft eggs before but I have found one on the porch where it looked like someone had an accident and it was a soft shelled egg. I was afraid to pick it up, that it would squish so I went in to get something to roll it into and when I got back it was gone.

if you are asking if eggs are laid soft and harden as they are exposed to air, no. Yes, this is what I was asking but I saw the color of the "shell" and it was brown, not white like a membrane.

aart is right, not always so straight forward, should have asked for more info! Shell less eggs can also come from new layers just getting started, older hens, hens with a problem in the shell gland, recent stress (predator attack, moved the coop, etc), and many other reasons that I probably don't know about.

Molts can happen at different ages, I have some two year old hens that have never had a full blown molt, a 13 week old that is currently having a heavy juvenile molt, and one who molts once a year like clockwork. Are you providing extra calcium free choice? And if the covering was brown, it could be a soft shelled egg instead of a shell less eggs, slightly different things but I think about the same causes. Is she currently molting or any other signs of ill health?

aart is right, not always so straight forward, should have asked for more info! Shell less eggs can also come from new layers just getting started, older hens, hens with a problem in the shell gland, recent stress (predator attack, moved the coop, etc), and many other reasons that I probably don't know about.

Well, she has been laying just fine but we have also just been going through some rough times with a predator raccoon.

Molts can happen at different ages, I have some two year old hens that have never had a full blown molt, a 13 week old that is currently having a heavy juvenile molt, and one who molts once a year like clockwork. Are you providing extra calcium free choice? And if the covering was brown, it could be a soft shelled egg instead of a shell less eggs, slightly different things but I think about the same causes. Is she currently molting or any other signs of ill health?

We bought her, another hen and a rooster at the same time and they were all molting. They looked horrible but I bought them because my chicks weren't old enough to lay eggs at that time and I hoped that they would foster my chicks. They didn't but not because the babies didn't want them to. LOL

No, we haven't had a problem with soft eggs before so I haven't added any extra calcium. On the other hand.......When I found out that I shouldn't have been feeding my 8 week old chicks layer crumbles, I started taking chick starter out for them and the big chickens were eating that as well as their own layer crumbles. Maybe she ate too much of the chick starter and didn't have enough calcium? I still put two pans of food down, one inside for the chicks and one outside for the adults but I plan on buying regular chicken food without the calcium and putting calcium on the side for the hens. It is getting to be a pita to carry chick food out of the house for the young ones out in the coop. I have a brooder in the house and an incubator at day 12. I have a swap to finish up and when those chicks can go outside, they are not here yet so haven't even started to incubate, I will be done with chicks for this year.

No, she is showing no signs of being sick or molting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom