question about feed

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
we have our 7 week olds in the coop with our 4 older girls that are laying. how do we keep them out of each other's food? we have layer food for the girls and starter/grower for the chicks...but the girls get into the chicks food (we rigged up our wire cage dog kennel so the little ones could fit through the door and eat, but the big girls squeeze through it) even though their food is full and easier to access. is it a dominance thing? will the starter grower affect their laying abilities?

could we mix the starter/grower and layer for them all to eat as they wish? we made a mistake when we bought the girls food and bought crumbles when we ment to get pellets. this problem will probably be solved once we buy pellets but until then I was wondering what y'all thought. they all have access to the run, and we give them other protein, grit and calcium sources other than their food, just thought I would mention

I am pretty new to this as well but from what I have read and done myself, I have kept all birds apart compeletly until they are all about the same size. I was afraid the little girls would get hurt by the big girls. then the food was not a problem because they were seperate.

yeah we read about keeping them seperate due to the chicks being picked on but we slowly introduced the 16 6 week olds to our 4 9 month olds and there were very few picking issues. Now they have all been together for over a week and they all get along fine. The feed is just an issue we have had trouble with as far as who is eating which feed.

The starter grower will probably help the layers as laying pellets is usually not a complete feed . The starter grower gives the birds (big&small) most all the things they need for a healthy active life . I mix a real good scratch feed with Starter Grower (20-30%Scratch-70-80%starter/Grower) for all my birds , just make sure they can not scratch are knock the feed out on the ground and waste it (this is Important) .

Allways have Fresh Cool Water for your Birds plus Oyster Shell & Granite Grit .
Hope this helps ,
Shannon

Quote:

It's okay for the adults to eat the starter feed, but it's NOT okay for the little ones to eat layer feed. It has too much calcium in it, which can cause growth deformities. I'm glad they're all getting along, that's a bit unusual! You must have very happy girls!!
smile.png

Quote:
the little ones eat a little of the layer feed, but I tried to put it as high as I could. they really have to stretch to get to it, and some still do. but mostly they go to their own feeder. I guess for now we will just buy starter/grower for them all, and make sure to give the girls added calcium like we have been and of course all will get grit.

we are noticing that not everyone integrates as early as we did, but we started with them in the coop but in an enclosed area for 2 weeks, then let them out a few times a week to play in the coop and be around the girls. Ihad to get them out of the house because they needed more room and I needed the dust and smell gone! my girls are pretty easy going as long as you don't get in their space (unless you have treats
big_smile.png
) and the little ones have learned this. they have been together now for a week and doing quite well. but I don't think the girls get all the sleep they were before the little ones went out there because some evenings they go to the roost early lmao and look pretty tired.

I don't want my hens eating medicated chick starter because I eat the eggs. What I did was have an area that only the chicks can get in to eat. I used a cage that I took the bottom off of, I wired the door open and the chicks can get in but the opening is too small for the hens. It also provides a safe haven if they are getting chased by an adult bird.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom