Question about feeders left out.

I'm a pig farmer.. lol. rats big as fox squirrels. We only feed our birds enough that they can eat in one sitting/twice a day. (Adults) Helps keep the rodents from having Thanksgiving Dinner 365 days out of the year.
thumb blue.gif

Hmmmm....ok, but I'm hanging it in the run which has a 2 ft wide 1x2 wire apron, 4 ft high hardware cloth with 2 ft high 1x2 wire above that covering the chain link fencing, and totally covered over top with 1x2 wire and some plastic sheeting to offer weather protection. I'm new at this so maybe I'm putting too much credit in my predator proofing.

Nope, its just that mice and rats can get in tiny places, if their nose fits then they fit lol! And they're perfectly capable of chewing through wire, so the only way is bring it in or a rodent proof feeder.:)
Hmmmm....ok, but I'm hanging it in the run which has a 2 ft wide 1x2 wire apron, 4 ft high hardware cloth with 2 ft high 1x2 wire above that covering the chain link fencing, and totally covered over top with 1x2 wire and some plastic sheeting to offer weather protection. I'm new at this so maybe I'm putting too much credit in my predator proofing.

1x2" is not rodent proof at all. 1/2"x1/2" 16 gauge works for rats and adult mice (assuming that you are checking periodically for damage). 1/4" is generally considered mouse proof, but is not available in heavy enough gauge to deter smaller predators.

When you think about it, rodents are really amazing. Not that it makes me want to have them around, but they are incredibly well adapted to taking advantage of us.

Once you start attracting rodents it's hard to STOP attracting rodents. Even if they can't get in they'll dig experimental tunnels and chew on wood trying to get in. It's an extra step but I put my feeder in a metal trash can at night, just to keep an annoyance from becoming a full blown problem.

Once you start attracting rodents it's hard to STOP attracting rodents. Even if they can't get in they'll dig experimental tunnels and chew on wood trying to get in. It's an extra step but I put my feeder in a metal trash can at night, just to keep an annoyance from becoming a full blown problem.
I like that idea. I hate carrying water dispensers and feeders all into the house. Takes 2 trips.

Back
Top Bottom